PC stops working Screen Resolution Error Msg?

KJ823 08:33 14 Sep 07

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help – I am having an intermittent problem with my PC running Windows XP. After it has been on a while, it freezes causing me to restart. When it reboots, it goes through what seems to be the normal process and start up sound but the desktop does not come up. All I get is an error message in a box that moves around the screen. It says:

NOT OPTIMUM MODE
RECOMMENDED MODE: 1280 X 1024 60HZ
?
ANALOG

[The box has two thick lines around the outside coloured dark and light blue and the ? is inside a small box with an orange border].

Often when I restart I just get this message again but if I leave it for hours [or overnight] it is then ok again. Last night when I restarted after the message the desktop came up but with a much lower screen resolution. As soon as I clicked OK after changing this to 1280 x 1024 I got the message again and had to switch off.

I have used one of the function keys to get into set up but don’t know what to look for! I did find an error log which mentioned keyboard not working, checksum error, and fan fault but all the dates were from before I bought the PC.

I have replaced the internal battery and have made sure the fan is working all the time and my keyboard is fine. [Sometimes my mouse seems sluggish].

Any suggestions please before I fork out money to get it looked at? !

Thanks
KJ

birdface 08:55 14 Sep 07

Looks as though you need a new battery for your motherboard.From £2 - £5 from any computer shop.

birdface 09:00 14 Sep 07

Oops you have changed the battery sorry should have read your thread properly.If you can get into Device Manager and see if there is any yellow exclamation marks on any of your devices.

KJ823 09:00 14 Sep 07

Hi Buteman

Do you mean the small round battery inside the PC? If so, I have changed this. I think it was a CR2032.
KJ

KJ823 09:00 14 Sep 07

Sorry, you beat me to it!
No yellow exclamation marks

birdface 09:10 14 Sep 07

Yes that is the one that I meant,Did you replace it with a new one.or one out of another motherboard,I am afraid I am not up to date with the Bios but I believe if your settings have changed because you changed the battery,You may have to reset it to default.Now please do not do this unless someone confirms it as it is only something that I read on another thread.I am only trying to fill in until someone can give you the proper advice that you need.

KJ823 09:36 14 Sep 07

Hi Again

I changed it for a new battery and haven't, as far as I know, changed any settings!

birdface 11:28 15 Sep 07

Screen resolution is normally something to do with your graphics card,Can you check to see that it is seated properly in the connection.Other problems could be PSU,Make sure the air vents at the back are not clogged up with dust or fluff.And have you tried a System restore to a point before you had the problem, or last good configuration in safe mode.

crosstrainer 11:32 15 Sep 07

Have you checked to ensure that your monitor is capable of the reqested resoloution? What is your monitor's make and model?

KJ823 11:54 15 Sep 07

Hi to all trying to help.
The cables are all plugged in securely.
The refresh rate is set to 60Hz.
I am unsure about un-reinstalling the graphics card driver - I was not given a disc when I bought the PC.
I have made sure the vents are not clogged with dust.
Haven't done a system restore before.
Monitor has been fine at that resolution before. It is a SyncMaster 713BM.
Thanks!
KJ

birdface 12:00 15 Sep 07

Googled but not a lot of help. click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now