PC Stops responding completely

Mike000 15:18 18 Feb 05

I recently purchased a 550W Vsilent ATX PSU (A39CF). Since installing the power supply the PC has crashed on several occasions.

The symptoms are; PC stops responding completely (nothing changes on the monitor, keyboard doesn't respond e.g. numlock, wireless mouse base unit does not detect activity), after two seconds monitor says it has no signal. To turn the PC off the power button has to be held in for several seconds. These failures occur intermittently, whilst using a variety of programs, e.g. playing a game, using Word, browsing in Firefox.

The system is an Asus K8V SE Deluxe, AMD64 3000, running Windows XP. It has a Radeon 9600XT graphics card.

Please could you shed any light on this? The system had been working without a problem until we installed the new power supply. Putting the old power supply back in didn't stop the problem either.

(I replaced it because the old one was noisy - not because it didn't work)

*Silver*Hawk* 15:22 18 Feb 05

you might have knocked something out of place in the board? Heatsink maybe, as running apps will heighten the temp and cause crashes etc.

Mike000 15:36 18 Feb 05

Nope, everything is in place. At first I thought it could be the floopy drive connecter, as that was slightly wonky, but i fixed that and it still happens.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 18 Feb 05

Power to graphics card?

Mike000 16:44 18 Feb 05

The graphics card hasn't got another power connecter, it takes it off the motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…