PC stopped !! Dell Inspiron 6400

gmpy1 15:54 PM 30 May 13

My PC starts up right through to the Welcome screen,then stops at this ,a black panel top left....

Administrator.cmd.exe Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32 C:\Windows\system32 C:\Windows\system32

I am not able to get any further , any ideas would be great fully received ,do bear in mind I am a silver surfer and. Bit dim!! Many thanks George's

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:07 PM 30 May 13

Windows 7?

Have you just used a virus removal tool?

gmpy1 17:44 PM 30 May 13

Hi thanks Yes windows 7 and yesI I had a virus's Threat which AVG Asked to clean/disinfect,On thinking back that's were the problem started George

gmpy1 17:50 PM 30 May 13

Jock1e Yes tried that but it says no restore points..........I did system restore poins at least three times over the last three months de George

gmpy1 17:50 PM 30 May 13

Jock1e Yes tried that but it says no restore points..........I did system restore poins at least three times over the last three months de George

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 PM 30 May 13

Sounds as If AVG has removed some essential part of windows

You need to look at Windows Repair Your Computer options.

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk NOTE

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Windows DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

13/ Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

gmpy1 20:20 PM 30 May 13

Hi Guys Thanks for your input.I have found the following disk in my box , Operating System All ready Installed on your computer, Re'install DVD Windows Vista home Premium 32 bit

Way back a friend put 7 on this PC sadly he s no longer with us..which you were Kevin...but I don't think he removed the origanl OS Will this help George

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 PM 30 May 13

No you cannot use the vista disk to do a startup repair

However you can download and burn to DVD a window 7 repair disc from here

Boot with the CD and follow the instructions I posted earlier to do a start up repair

gmpy1 17:01 PM 31 May 13

Thanks F B I need to use a friends PC to down load a disk, as I am away for ten days I will get back to you then. Good job I am allowed to use er selfs iPad De George

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November