pc sticking on start up

Steven-172567 11:48 29 May 06

Help me please, i've had to put a new power supply into my pc, now when i start it up i only get as far as "detecting IDE drives" and that's it.
It gives me an option to press DEL for setup or ALT F2 but there's no response from my keyboard.
All lights up when originally boots, but then nothing,
Please help me, cos this is doing my head in....

namtas 12:05 29 May 06

If the power supply is a direct replacement or larger power but direct replacement and all connection are as original.

You either have not reconnected some connection

You have connected eveything but the connection is faulty/loose.

You have disturbed something unconnected somewhere else.

johnnyrocker 12:05 29 May 06

are you able to try the old psu back to see what happens?

johnny.

Steven-172567 12:10 29 May 06

i'm not able to put in old psu as it had blown up. As for putting in all connections, i replaced like for like, so i'm as sure as i can be that they're all in right place....
Is there any book or online place i can get a pic of what they should look like.
I can go to library tomorrow if there IS a book that would help. Any recommendations are most welcome.
thanks

Starfox 12:13 29 May 06

"i'm not able to put in old psu as it had blown up."

Can you be sure that when this happened it did not damage anything else,motherboard etc?

Steven-172567 12:21 29 May 06

all the safety features claim to prevent this, and there is no visible sign of damage, eg charring etc. but i can't be 100% sure
Is there any way to tell if this is the case Starfox?

Gongoozler 12:23 29 May 06

Hi mackem73. It's not possible to get a book that would give specific instructions on where the connector go because every computer is different. The best guide would be the manual for your computer's motherboard.
When your computer starts up does it give a beep to confirm that it has satisfactorily completed it's self test? If it does, then I suggest that you unplug the IDE connectors to the drives at the motherboard end and switch on again. The computer should then get to the point where it looks for an operating system (Windows), and comes up with an error message that it can't find one.

Steven-172567 12:27 29 May 06

Gongoozler, it does make the beep, then switches on the monitor. i've just done as you said and now says there's a disk boot failure. but also the cd and dvd drives open again, which thet wouldn't earlier. What do you suggest next?

Gongoozler 12:30 29 May 06

Now plug in just the master hard drive in the primary IDE slot (probably the C drive in IDE 0). If you can tell me what motherboard you have I'll see if I can be more specific.

Steven-172567 12:35 29 May 06

sorry can't remember what the motherboard is now. it has IDE1 and IDE2 slots, so should the HDD go to IDE1?

Gongoozler 12:36 29 May 06

Yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…