Pc startup problems xp home

Ive 18:46 03 May 05

pc has started playing up when switched on.You watch as it starts and as the items appear in the tray, (norton,volume,messenger etc, but when you think it has all loaded up and click on say Outlook express on the desktop the Blue Outlook express 6 logo box appears and it freezes there.Hour glass appears if you hover over it but you cant do anything else, but if you hit ctrl+alt+del nothing shows.The only remedy is start,turn off computer, turn off, then switch on and try again and it sometimes loads ok but normally it takes a 3rd attempt and you know when all is ok by succesfully opening outlook express.
Any ideas.

Pooke100 18:54 03 May 05

a program in the start up causing problems? try msconfig and untick all you don't need and try a reboot. Leave your Anti-virus and Firewall alone though. If this helps then start ticking the items again one by one.

just a suggestion.

P

lotvic 19:10 03 May 05

Does it only freeze on Outlook Express?

Do other programs open okay without freezing?

Ive 19:21 03 May 05

No not just outlook express.

961 19:30 03 May 05

What windows? Virus checker? (Up to date?)Firewall

First thoughts are a virus

Can you do system restore back before this happened. Does that solve it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 03 May 05

OE Freezing
Disable AVG by right clicking the icon and selecting close - i can't remember the exact wording but you see and option to close the shield or something.

If OE now opens OK you need to clear out loads of rubbish from your folders. Basically AVG is scanning all the folders every time OE opens and if you have loads of attachments (esp big pics) it can cause OE to hang as it times out whilst waiting for AVG to finish scanning. Once you have deleted all can afford to loose empty the deleted items and then File, Folder, Compact All Folders.

Reboot and OE should be OK whilst AVG is running. Just remember that you need to make sure you don't build up loads of old mail in your OE.

OE Help
click here

Technotiger 19:51 03 May 05

Hi, I have the very same intermittent problem.
XP Home/SP2, some days PC will start up perfectly, other days it will take several attemps before starting and running ok. Today it refused to start properly even after 20 attempts. Trouble is, this can be caused by so many different things. Possible dodgy programs in Taskbar, dodgy RAM, PCU overheat, dodgy mobo and the list goes on and on. This morning I tried different RAM configerations (my Normal is 512Mb in 2 sticks) tried one stick at a time and then in different slots on mobo, made sure all seated firmly and slots totally clean/clear of dust. Checked and re-checked all fittings inside and outside of case. It still didn't want to start. Threatened it with Lump-hammer after it had been left off for a half hour or so,
then gave it 'one more try' - it came on correctly and fully, this was at about 9am this morning and it is still running properly as I type this, I know I will have no further problem this evening - but tomorrow morning? who knows.

I have been through this shennanikins several times in the past 6 - 12 months when it seems to settle down again all on it's own. I will see how it goes tomorrow and maybe for the next few days, then I will decide whether to replace mobo or whatever, but it can go on properly for weeks without bother, so as I said much earlier - can be caused by so many things.......arrrrrgh.

Apologies for long-windedness....
Cheers.

961 19:57 03 May 05

Cheers, learned something tonight

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…