pc startup

PARIS/FALLS/04 09:08 01 Jun 04

Im starting a new thread because i have another problem and i dont want things to get mixed up. When i switch on the pc i have to switch it on and off up to a total of 4 times before i see a signal on the monitor i have had this for a while and its getting really annoying now and was hoping i could do something about it. Any advice would be good on this.

spuds 10:06 01 Jun 04

What do you mean about having to switch on and off four times. Do you do this via the computer so as to reboot, or do you do this via the mains switch.How long do you wait between each attempt of rebooting.Have you installed any recent programmes which have caused this problem. Do you run updated anti-virus/firewall/adaware type programmes. I note that you have another post running elsewhere in the forum concerning adawares etc.

spuds 10:13 01 Jun 04

Link to other post click here

PARIS/FALLS/04 11:22 01 Jun 04

Hi spuds
i am having to switch the computer on and off up to the 4th attempt before it will fully come on.

I will try to explain a bit more on the 1st to the 3rd attempt at switching on the pc i get the beep and the light comes on when my drives are found ie my cd writer drive and my dvd rom drive then nothing lights up on the monitor but the computer is on that got me a little confused so i actually thought must be my graphics card and went out and got a new one. once installed this still did not fix the problem as i went to restart the pc it did not come on again and i hade to switch it on the same way as before. Hope this is a little clearer for you. If you need any more info please feel free to ask.

ThePharcyde007 12:57 01 Jun 04

Dodgy video card? Not good powering on and off like that can cause additional probs i.e hard drive failure

PARIS/FALLS/04 12:58 01 Jun 04

i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem posted but i have noticed that when i click on folders and recycle bin i get the warning that internet explorer has an error and will now close.

PARIS/FALLS/04 13:00 01 Jun 04

so does this mean i need a new video card then?

PARIS/FALLS/04 13:01 01 Jun 04

i have to go out for a bit now but will check back in later today so please keep the advice coming.

Thanks Heather

ThePharcyde007 16:58 01 Jun 04

I would try formatting the hard drive:

What operating system are you using?

Do you have a bootable CD Drive/CD Rom Windows Disc?

Let me know the above and i'l help from here

PARIS/FALLS/04 20:20 01 Jun 04

i went out and got a new video card and still not working this has made things worse i am now having to switch the pc on 8 times before i get a signal to the monitor and now there is no beep when i am starting up untill the monitor gets the signal. i have only had the hard drive installed for 8 weeks as my last one broke so i really dont want to format the hard drive. Is there any other suggestions please.

PARIS/FALLS/04 08:30 08 Jun 04

im starting a new thread as i have replaced the motherboard and processor and am having a whole set of other problems now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…