pc starts up by itself

daifab 14:42 01 Apr 05

My pc sometimes starts by itself.On time it started up after several days, I was there when it started so there's no chance of anybody fooling around.
I thought it could be a dicky switch,
Anybody had the same trouble.
Spooky init.

DieSse 14:56 01 Apr 05

It's often caused by a BIOS setting that allows the system to start when the 'phone rings (or a number of other causes). If you need help to find these settings, ask again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 01 Apr 05

Disable Wake from Lan in the BIOS

daifab 13:21 02 Apr 05

Phoned myself to see if the pc started,it did'nt
went into bios and disabled {Lan/modem ring on}
now ill wait and see what happens next, will let you know the outcome .thanks guys.

Jak_1 16:41 02 Apr 05

Odd question! Either the pc is on or it is off! If you mean connecting to the internet whilst powered up then it would seem that it's either a trojan or a virus! The first methinks.

If it is off then a dodgy switch and faulty electrics would seem to be the problem and I would be very wary as that clearly could not be safe when touching the pc.

A tad more info would help.

DieSse 16:53 02 Apr 05

Jak_1 - "Either the PC is on or it is off!"

Not quite true - on a modern PC "Off" is only a kind of standby - similar to a VCR, it never goes off until you take out the power lead or switch off the switch (if there is one) on the back of the power supply.

At all other times there is power to the motherboard, and the power switch on the front is only a signal to tell the motherboard and PSU to come out of standby. This is why one should never be plugging and unplugging the internals without switching off the PSU.

This is also how signals such as a modem ring, and other events can be used to "switch on" the PC.

daifab 19:43 05 Apr 05

Hi guys Many thanks for your help,after disabling
Lan/modem ring in the bios all seems to be ok
once again many thanks
Dai

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…