PC started to behave sluggishly - anyone know why?

oxfo 20:12 14 Mar 05

Kit:- Pentium 3.2 Gig p4 /1G DDR memory /GeForce FX5900xt graphics card / WinXP Pro / Mcafee AV & Firewall. Problem - PC starts ok but if I open more than 3 folders up then usually one or both of these happen:- 1)a short lock up (10 secs or so)- Task Manager tells me "such & such a programme is not responding" so I end it.Then all the icons dissapear from the desktop and come back on several seconds later. 2)All the icons on the Taskbar dissapear but only the Mcafee & MSNMessenger icons come back (Maybe N-Vidias too).At the same time this started my son noticed that the cursor on some of his games has started to flicker on and off i.e Half life 2/Command and conquer generals.I work in the same building as the National Computing Centre and asked the IT lads there if they could help ,they suggested Spyware was the culprit so I downloaded & installed the beta version of their Anti-Spyware which although it has found lots more spyware etc than Spybot S&D and Adaware has not cured the problem.Anyone got any advice please?Thanks

click here try this

click here and this!!!!!! avg free its the nuts!

stalion 20:20 14 Mar 05
  oxfo 20:44 14 Mar 05

Downloaded Microsofts Anti-spyare,not NCCs

Grouse ® 22:05 14 Mar 05

sounds like you have a conflict with something you have installed.......do you remember what you last installed before this started

if you open system information in "System Tools"
Then under Tab=Tools click on Dr Watson and see what it says in the "Application Errors"

or try stopping antivirus and running applications.................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…