PC Start Up Problems & Sky Broadband

loripandora 12:29 26 Feb 07

Hi there

Hoping someone can help me. I have recently subscribed to Sky Broadband - I've generally had no major issues with downloads or access, but since downloading the software, my PC has been having log in problems.
When I start up my PC, and log on the PC freezes and won't let me access anything - the only way I can log out is to turn the PC off at the wall switch - I sometimes have to do this 6-8 times before it finally just logs in correctly with no freezing. It seems to make no difference whether my broadband box is switched on or off.
Its very annoying and wondered if anyone knew of a quick way to remedy?
Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:42 26 Feb 07

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

loripandora 19:04 27 Feb 07

Hi there

think I might be doing something silly here - typed in sfc/scannow but got a message saying that Windows couldn't find it. I tried scannow.exe, and although a black dos-looking window appeared, it was for less than 1 second, therefore too quick to see what it was doing.

I've scheduled the Pc to do a file system error check on my C drive next time I log off via file, Properties, Tools, Error checking, but am i missing something really obvious here, and if so, apologies in advance and thanks for any assitance you can provide

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 27 Feb 07

watch the space between sfc and /

your not error chcking for bad hard drive sectors but sfc checks windows operating files.

Dipso 20:24 27 Feb 07

"...but since downloading the software"

What software do you mean?

loripandora 08:22 28 Feb 07

Thanks for that - knew it would be something silly.

Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference - PC is still freezing at start up.

Re other query - I was referring to the Sky Broadband software

Does anyone know of anything else I could try?

Graham. 08:27 28 Feb 07

Do you mean installing the software, rather than downloading it? I would suggest a System Restore to a time before Sky.

rodriguez 08:38 28 Feb 07

I have Sky Broadband and I don't think it's necessary to install their software - it seems to just work without. You could try uninstalling the Sky software or using System Restore to roll back to before you installed it. Once your Sky Broadband box is plugged in and has a connection, Internet Explorer should start loading pages without you even needing to put the disc in. To get the Sky Broadband page to come up when you start Internet Explorer, go to Control Panel, Switch to Classic view then go to Internet Options and change the home page to click here. skybroadband .com/portal/site/skybb (without the spaces, they were just to stop the link turning into "click here".

loripandora 20:46 08 Mar 07

many thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm not sure if it was the scannow or system restore, but it seems to be working well now.

thanks again for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…