PC Spec - What would you change?

Ben Avery (Work) 13:11 01 Apr 03

G'day all

I've had a spec sent through from our PC supplier for a budget replacement PC for the office and the spec is below for your perusal. What would you change (if anything) at this price? They won't let me build it myself!

* AMD K7 Athlon XP1800+ CPU c/w K7 Fan Skt A - Large

* ATX WTY400 / 6022MD Midi Case 300W

* Internal 8cm Case Fan

* 40Gb UMDA HDD

* 3.5" 1.44Mb FDD

* 256Mb DDR RAM PC2100

* Matsonic 8137C AMD Skt A M/B SDR/DDR Mobo

* 51r x 52w x 24rw Blk/Sil CDRW Drive

* 64Mb GeForce2 400MX AGP Graphics Card

* AC97 Digital Audio Full Duplex Sound

* Standard Multimedia Speakers

* PCI 10/100 Base TX RJ45 Network Card

He will be installing windows 98 SE which we already have the license for on the machine being replaced so no need of new OS or keyboard, monitor, mouse etc.

Total cost incl VAT is £409.00

We are VAT exempt so total cost to us will be £348.02

What say you guys???

It will be basically running, MS Office 97/2000, Internet Explorer 6 and a few other progs but is basically a standard office PC.

Seem pretty good to me?

Any thoughts welcome!

BA

nightporter 13:26 01 Apr 03

Maybe a slightly bigger hard drive or 512mb Ram, but it looks a good price.

Ben Avery (Work) 13:29 01 Apr 03

Thanks for the quick response.

Agree with the RAM option but the HDD is bigger than it needs to be already. We use a server to store our data on so my HDD is purely holding the programs needed for the PC to function properly with the odd document I don't want on the server.

To give you an idea, The previous PC had a 20Gb HDD and used about 40%! That's with years and years of work!

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 13:30 01 Apr 03

I am going to give them a call to confirm it is a 7200rpm and NOT a 5400rpm HDD!

BA

DieSse 13:32 01 Apr 03

It looks Ok to me - although personally I would build such as system with a 2GHz Celeron, for cooler running and potentially less ongoing hassle.

I would want to know the make of each unit, an assurance that the RAM is 1st grade, not 3rd or OEM, and the speed of the Hard Drive (5400 or 7200) - rather than the colour of the CD-RW.

Ben Avery (Work) 13:37 01 Apr 03

I though the same thing when I saw the Blk/Sil thing! :o)

I know the company aand they won't touch RAM which isn't 1st rate so I've no worries about the component quality. I went to college using the machines that were built and networked by them, and even with rogue college students giving them rough treatment they survived without hiccup.

They are a truly impressive company. We use them for servicing / maintenance too and they have never let us down.

I think that goes a long way.

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 13:40 01 Apr 03

the website address for the company is:

click here

and the system it is loosly based on is the Home Office XP machine here:

click here

DieSse 14:18 01 Apr 03

I can't see you will have any problems then - sometimes the company you deal with is even more important than the system.

At the risk of sounding pedantic - there are three grades of RAM - and I would just make sure thay actually specify 1st grade - this has a specific meaning, and is the best assurance that the RAM is least likely to give problems.

Pesala 14:29 01 Apr 03

I would say dispense with the graphics card and make do with on-board graphics. Ask for quiet PC features like a quiet CPU fan if your office environment is not already too noisy to benefit.

Ben Avery (Work) 14:55 01 Apr 03

With the music I play while I work, You couldn't always hear a Jumbo fly over head (well actually, when I listen to Pink Floyd, there are the odd times where they DO play the noise of a jumbo flying overhead!)

Thanks all.

DieSse - I'll check.

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 16:39 01 Apr 03

Memory tests out ok. It is the 1st grade not the other types.

The HDD is 5400rpm although a 7200rpm will only cost a further £7 or so. However, he has said to me that, under the circumstances, he see's little point in the upgrade as I'm not going to be gaming or anything like that. The HDD, according to him, will rarely be needed at such a high speed as, as mentioned earlier, all of the files are located on the Server anyway so it wouldn't make a noticable difference to the work I am doing.

Make sense, or is this incorrect?

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…