PC Spec question

Haggie 17:45 15 Feb 03

i know this is prbably a stupid question, so bear with me.

My Pc is PIII 500mhz i know this cos thats the spec i bought a few years back. But why does it say it is a PII mmx when i go into contol panel & then system ??

was thinking of beefing up me processor but the specs for the mobo say that it is for upto 450mhz PII & beyond but processor is a slot 1 when i thought PIII were slot 370.

Diemmess 17:55 15 Feb 03

Briefly.....PIII were available for either board.

Gongoozler 18:03 15 Feb 03

Haggie, I think the answer to your first question is that Windows 98 didn't know about the PIII, so it makes the best guess at the name that it can.

clayton 18:13 15 Feb 03

Download this software to check what motherboard & Bios version you have

click here

Djohn 18:24 15 Feb 03

I am aware of a few people that get this message when checking. I think it only shows up on the early P3's. they work as a P3 and peform exactly as they should, just that sys. information detects them as a P2. J.

siliconbits 19:53 15 Feb 03

I wonder whether this has something to do with the Windows Version you're using. As far as I remember, Windows 95 recognized my o'clocked Celeron 300 > 450 as a Pentium III 450. Early Pentium III were available in both Slot and Socket (this gave rise to dual format Mobo and the famous Slotkets).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…