PC Spec

Shcotty 01:16 04 Jan 09

Hi,

I am about to get the following Spec and just wanted to check with people in the know whether you foresee any problems. Also, should I stay with XP until the Vista replacement comes out later this year ... is there one due?

Thanks

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Socket 775 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache
- Coolermaster Cosmos RC-1000 Aluminium Case
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
- Nvidia GTX260 896MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics
- Seagate 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache*
- Coolermaster RealPower 700W Modular PSU
- LG W2452T 24" LCD Monitor widescreen 1920x1200 400cd/m2 10000:1 5 ms DVI/VGA/HDCP
- Plexus PCI Combo Card 5 Port USB2.0 (4 External, 1 Internal) & 3 Port IEEE 1394 Firewire (2 External, 1 Internal)
- LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Disc Re-Writer & HD DVD-Rom SATA Black
- LG DVD ROM re-writer Lightscribe
- Enlight Black 26-in-1 Internal 3.5" Card Reader
- Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music Soundcard
- ASUS P5Q3 iP45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
- 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY (2x2GB)
- Microsoft Explorer BlueTrack Wireless Mouse & Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard
- 2 Year Warranty
TOTAL PRICE (VAT INCLS) £1659

MarvintheAndroid 01:37 04 Jan 09

Spec looks good. However Windows XP won't use all the memory.

Marv

Shcotty 12:26 04 Jan 09

Yeah I know, but I heard in that MS have another OS coming in 2009 to replace Vista ... is this the case? I'd hate to waste my money on Vista only to see it replaced in the same year.

skidzy 12:48 04 Jan 09

Windows 7 will be the new os,however my guess is it will be some time before its totally compatible with all the hardware/software and then there is the driver/s scenario again.

The spec is good,but do you really need a top spec ?

What do you actually plan to do with this machine ?
If just general Internet/Email/burn a few cd/dvd's/Word etc...you would not need that spec and save yourself some cash.

I assume you are a gamer ?

citadel 13:38 04 Jan 09

I put vista 64 bit on my latest pc and there are no problems, even if 7 comes out vista will presumably still be supported with updates for some time.

Shcotty 14:14 04 Jan 09

I might play the odd game or two but mainly I will also be using it for editing and heavy internet surfing research. As well as office.

Of course if the editing takes off then I'll get a stand alone PC/Mac for it but in the meantime I wanted something that's relatively future proof and the last time I got a PC I spent a similar amount and it lasted over 6years.

Skidzy - Do you still think there are cut backs I could make?

I'm still undecided about Vista and Vienna or Windows 7 ... as I already have XP I was going to wait to see how it plays out.

skidzy 14:32 04 Jan 09

" Do you still think there are cut backs I could make "

Yes you could though will depend on what you mean by editing.

If video/photo editing make sure you have 3GB of ram,unless 64bit your os will not see more than 3.25GB of any extra ram.

Your processor though a nice cpu will be an overkill for your work but nice to have the resource in reserve if needed.

Do you really warrant a blue ray writer ?

" he last time I got a PC I spent a similar amount and it lasted over 6years "

Bear in mind computers are a lot cheaper now.I had an old Emachines with a Celeron cpu that lasted 5 years,actually its still going though with a new mobo and psu.

Personally i would go with Vista (debatable for some ).Though do check your programs and compatibility.

If you explain exactly your plans for the new machine,we can have a look around for you and maybe come up with something else.

Regarding your monitor,have you searched for other brands with similar spec ?

palinka 16:30 04 Jan 09

I would go with Vista. When my desktop machine died 18 months ago I used my laptop (XP) as my main(sole) machine for 6 months as at that time Vista was apparently causing some problems. Finally bought a new Vista machine a year ago and have had no problems at all. Opinion seems to be tht early problems were caused by such things as installing vista over XP on older machines; and under-specced machines. The anti-hype about Vista is just that; on a new machine, with adequate spec you should have no problems.
And now that Vista has been around for a couple of years there are drivers available that are Vista compatible, so you should be able to run stuff without difficulty, though check, as Skidzy suggests. That sort of problem will apply with any future new OS. Yes, XP has had a reprieve, but it's not going to be supported for ever, so why not buy Vista now; you won't regret it.

Shcotty 19:22 04 Jan 09

RE OS - Once W7/Vienna is released later this year I'm concerned that because Vista didn't take hold as much as was possibly expected, Microsoft will let it fade away and Users will have to fork out again. As many people recommend getting it as don't so it's a toughy. If I DO get it though I'll need to make savings elsewhere:

MONITOR - The LG was the monitor suggested by CustoComp who have offered this Spec price. I really need a 24" Widescreen HDMI montior that's as relaible as my Iiyama Vision Master Pro has been. Any better suggestions welcomed but I'll need to check if CustoComp can get it in. I hope no one's had bad dealings with them. I'd build my own PC but time and the need for a warranty rule that out.

MOBO - A friend pointed out the ASUS P5Q3 comes with Firewire ports incorporated so I wouldn't need the Plexus Combo. OR I could scale down to the ASUS P5QC but is that worth it?

EDITING - It'll be for video editing possibly in HD. I'll be getting a top end but not professional standard Adope Premier - the pro versions retail at many hundreds which is more than I can afford right now. I just don't want to rendering for days on end.

BLUE RAY rewriter - not essential I know but the storage on them is brilliant and I have a feeling I will need it later down the line.

Thanks for all your advice guys and any SPEC improvements/suggestions are most welcome.
I'm looking to get the PC either this week or next as I'm without one and it's killing me.

MarvintheAndroid 20:25 04 Jan 09

The scuttlebutt about Windows 7 is that you will be able to exclude the bits you don't want. So for example if you just want a minimalist install for gaming you can have it. If that turns out to be the case, Windows will finally come of age.

Marv

Shcotty 21:10 04 Jan 09

A vendor has said that Vista's due out end of 2009/ start 2010. That being the case it's more likely 2011 and then there'll be the ironing out of bugs process ... so would it be fair to think that it's at least a couple of years away? If that's the case maybe Vista IS worth getting.

I'm getting a Samsung NC10 bundled in with this as a present for my wife ... do you think if I can get all this for £2000 (Vista incl) it would be a good deal?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5