PC Smells Hot

Sir Squebert Thimblehead 15:21 26 Jun 04

My computer has started to smell hot but it still runs ok. A friend told me to block up the holes on the front of the case because it is on the floor and that blocking them would stop dust getting on to the cpu heatsink. I did this and now it smelling worse, what should I do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 26 Jun 04

Unblock Quick

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 26 Jun 04

PC cases require good airflow through them and have fans to blow air across Chip and boar and power supply heat will fry the chip and ruin your computer.

Mister Splendid 15:26 26 Jun 04

Your friend is trying to kill your pc. That was the worst possible advice. Unblock the wholes now and then try to find which component is causing the smell. Perhaps a component on a board is burnt out.

Mister Splendid 15:28 26 Jun 04

Whole holes........... new keyboard, grrr!!

wee eddie 15:30 26 Jun 04

What you need to do.

After you have cleared the airways is to get the dust out of the fans. Particularly the PSU.

There are difficult and easy ways of doing this. The easy way is to use a powerful jet of air. The difficult way is a narrow paint brush.

Whichever way you do it. The PSU can carry a considerable charge, so turn the PC off and leave for at least 15 minutes before you start.

Sir Squebert Thimblehead 15:42 26 Jun 04

You make me feel a bit of an idiot, but I will try as you say.

PS, I'm going to shoot my friend!!!

wee eddie 17:55 26 Jun 04

We all take advice from those that we think know more than us. There is no shame in that.

I think that he should, maybe, become a subscriber here. It is, after all, free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…