PC Slowed suddenly - Task Mgr very busy - Help!

Luddite 318 08:28 26 Aug 04

XP pro, 2Gb processor, 256RAM (DDR). After disc scan repaired a critial error following an unknown event, all my programmes (office, outlook) are running at seriously slow speed. Boot up is slow also. When I investigated following defrag and deletion of clutter, I found 39 entrys in the Windows Task Manager under Processes. Some are 14 Mb (Explorer) memory usage. Can anyone tell me if this list of tasks is slowing my PC down and what can I do about it to identify which processes are vital and which are clutter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cherria 09:03 26 Aug 04

The number of processes is fairly unimportant, what you need to look at is th eCPU usage of each process.

Click the CPU column in the process list so you get them ordered by CPU utilization. Then there may be a rogue process running which is hogging the CPU.

If there is, try first of all terminating that process. If its explorer you will lose your desktop but you can start a new explorer process from the applications tab by clicking the new task button and typing explorer.

14Mb for explorer is not anything unusual. My pc is currently running fine with explorer using 45Mb

bertiecharlie 10:56 26 Aug 04

click here to help you identify the processes in Task Manager.

There is also a very useful programme called the Ultimate Troubleshooter from this site. It gives you information about each individual running process and whether or not you can do without it. It does the same thing for your Services, telling you which ones you can disable or set to manual. Also lists, and gives information on, your Start Up items, to help you decide which items you can omit from starting up with your computer.

(You get a fully functional free trial of the programme.)

cherria 08:42 27 Aug 04

Just taggin to my postings for later reference

cherria 08:51 27 Aug 04

Doh!!!

It already was one of my postings, a bit slow this morning

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5