PC slowdown..... Since XP Updates....

Gaz 25 18:21 13 May 03

First of all, I am going to say...

I have 2600+ AMD Athlon, 512Mb DDR, 120Gb 7200Rpm, Geforce 4 Ti4200 DDR graphics, etc.

And Windows XP.

XP since that update to the kernel to stop attckers reading files, I cannot remember which update now, XP has been very slow logging-in and opening programs, I am unsure about removing it as Microsoft reckon it is unsafe to uninstall it, there again, I have defraged my HDD, Done various clean-ups, disabled almost all programs: Firewall, Antivirus, etc on start-up with very little difference, and sometimes crashes.

Has anyone still got this problem with this update and anyone got a workaround?

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 19:04 13 May 03

My PC is dog slow?

OneSirKnight 19:21 13 May 03

if you cannot remember the update,download this free program to see the dates of your last one.

click here

VoG™ 19:23 13 May 03
  powerless 19:26 13 May 03

"A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® XP and gain complete control over it. An attacker would need the ability to log onto the computer locally to carry out an attack. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft."

It's not needed really as a person has to be at your computer physically to exploit the securtiy issue thingemaboo.

PSF 19:28 13 May 03

click here

click here

Have a look at these links it seems to be the Q811493 update causing the slowdown on some pc's.

Un-install it and reboot that should speed things up.

Gaz 25 19:52 13 May 03

Is this safe?

Regards,
Gareth

VoG™ 19:54 13 May 03

In a word "yes". I uninstalled it and everything speeded up.

Gaz 25 20:04 13 May 03

Gaz 25 20:18 13 May 03

software I installed recently, anyway, it does not matter.

Faster now!

Regards,
Gareth

bpzoom 00:20 14 May 03

Uninstalling the infamous Q811493 may be the answer for some, but what if you cannot uninstall it? When highlighted in the usual way under add/remove etc, the option to remove does not appear, and does not appear on 50% of the Hotfixes on my XP system. An AOL techie suggested showing hidden files and running an uninstall feature in the windows folder called $NtUninstallQ811493. When that folder is opened, another folder called SPUNINST appears, open that and click a file called SPUNINST and a batch program rushes through in .5sec which is supposed to delete the Q811493. Unfortunately it does not and runs too fast to see what it actually does. I remain stuck with Q811493 until Microsoft provides a correction or someone on here has a bright idea on how to delete it, (please?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…