PC slowdown with no reason

gabber82 10:41 05 Dec 07

My pc used to be able to handle games. ie Dawn of War, Homeworld 2. But now, when i run them, within a minute or so i end up with jerk-o-vision from hell and continues until i exit the game. Something seems to be eating up either the processor or the video card.

i've killed all unnecessary apps, defragged and cleaned the registry to no avail. i'm at a loss as to how this has happened or how to fix, any ideas?

i've got pentium d 945, 1 gig ram, 7600gt agp video card

Technotiger 11:20 05 Dec 07

Have you looked in Processes to see if anything is hogging the CPU?

Ctrl/Alt/Del then look under Processes tab, the only item which should be showing 97% or thereabouts is System Idle Process, all the rest should be at no more than 0% to 4% approx.

xania 11:39 05 Dec 07

Also check under the Performance tab to ensure that all the memory is available and how much is actually being used.

hiwatt 11:41 05 Dec 07

Hi folks,I've just noticed that firefox.exe is fluctuating between about 3% and 75% in cpu.It was always round about 1 or 2,never more.There's been a couple of firefox updates in the last week.Is anyone else experiencing this?

hiwatt 11:42 05 Dec 07

I meant to start a thread with this.

gabber82 11:56 05 Dec 07

i regularly check to see what processes are hogging the cpu and i've not found anything. before i use any games, i go through the task manager list and kill anything that's not needed.

what really bugs me is that the pc is 1 year old and things have been working fine until a couple months ago. everything was running smoothly

keef66 13:05 05 Dec 07

you could try Start / run and type sfc /scannow and have the windows disk ready in case it finds a file it wants to fix.

birdface 13:15 05 Dec 07

It could be one of your Add-Ons,Dissable them all and see if your computer runs any faster,If so enable them one at a time till you find the culprit.

gabber82 16:05 05 Dec 07

i took the side panel off to have a look around and i noticed that the fan on the video card isn't spinning. would this be the probable cause of my woes? if so, how come? just the GPU getting too hot or something?

Technotiger 16:10 05 Dec 07

Fan not spinning, needs a good clean up I guess, may be overheating which would cause a problem. Also check you PSU make sure it is not clogged up with dust/fluff.

keef66 16:12 05 Dec 07

Yep, that would do it. The gpu gets too hot and shuts itself down, hence the stuttering and crashes in 3D apps like games.

Rather than replace the whole thing, Google for an aftermarket cooler for your card. Cheap, easy to fit, and probably both cooler and quieter than the original. Zalman probably do the best, but they are also the dearest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…