PC Slow on Start Up + Unusual Error

tammer 12:44 28 Aug 10

Hi,

I have an old, but decent, laptop with XP home and 1Gig of RAM.

Recently it's very slow to start up. When I can get into Task Manager I can see it's 2 lines of SVCHOST.exe taking a combined 320Meg of memory. These die down after about 5 minutes and the laptop is ok after that.

I also occasionally get the error "there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network" and have to reboot my router.

I have Bullguard Security on my laptop and it doesn't pick up any problems.

Do you think there's a problem or is my laptop just getting old? Is there anything I should investigate further?

Thanks in advance.

rawprawn 13:31 28 Aug 10

click here Read through this, it may be that there are services running that are not needed

MAT ALAN 13:36 28 Aug 10

SVCHOST.exe can take on diferent guises, as a system file or spy/malware,
it will much depend on how it is spelt, upper case or lower case.
I would first scan your PC for this issue

click here

the link may help with the other problem you have...

If you only have ONE PC/Lappy it may be a case of your internet connection being "piggybacked" by an unknown source, But i'm not sure about this...

tammer 14:12 30 Aug 10

Hi,

I've had a look with Process Explorer and it's hard to see obvious choices for turning off some services. One of the svchost files covers various Bullguard programs and the other big one covers a long list of services such as "Remote Access Connection Manager (RasMan)", which sounds a little dodgy itself.

Is there anything else I can do to check if there's anything dodgy running?

Re. the 2nd problem, I think the error was somehow caused by my partner's Blackberry connecting to the network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…