//some 3rd party need geo

PC slow to respond

JPJOF 18:59 05 Jul 04

Problem with PC using XP Pro. When I launch apps or open anything the machine can hang, or it might take minutes for the opened app to launch. This has happened only recently. I have all Spybot, Adaware, Mcafee and Windows update kept current. THe machine is generally very slow to respond now. It has 512 ram so while not blisteringly fast it should be good enough. any ideas? ta

Dorsai 19:02 05 Jul 04

Has this been a gradual slow down, that happened recently over a few days, of was it a case of ok yesterday, naff now. Did you installed any new hardware/software at the time it went top over tail?

JPJOF 19:06 05 Jul 04

nope, nothing new installed at all. has happened over past few weeks i'd say (3 maybe?). I've also defragged, got rid of junk, cleaned up files with no luck. i've checked the registry for errors (using System Mechanic 4) with no luck. thanks for quick response by the way

hugh-265156 19:09 05 Jul 04

does restarting the computer help? also agree with Dorsai, use system restore back to a time all was well or uninstall any new software/drivers etc see it that helps.

have a look in 'control panel/administrative tools/event viewer' and click the system and application tabs. look here for errors with the dates and times of hangs or crashes.

JPJOF 19:14 05 Jul 04

no, I might have to restart just to get the system stable but restarting doesn't stop it from happening again. The only major change I've done (which shouldn't cause this) is that I've changed my normal user account from Administrator to POwer User to reduce damage attacks but that was a while back now. I'll try the system restore and see what happens

Dorsai 19:48 05 Jul 04

Do you have a system/CPU temp. monitor? Could the PC be getting too hot? Many motherboards ship with monitoring software, but they may need manualy starting up. A long shot, but worth checking out. Overheating can cause instabilty in many case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…