PC slow down over time

gabber82 16:24 30 Mar 07

Just wondering if anyone knows if a PC slows down over time?

A few months ago i upgraded my pc to a pentium d 945, gig of ram, 7600gt agp video card. at the time it dominated Dawn of War (only game i play and the reason for the upgrade) however, when i play now and things start getting frantic on screen, there's a noticable decrease in frame rate.

i close down all anti virus progs and anything in the tray etc when i play, what's going on? i don't want to have to upgrade AGAIN. how can i improve performance to what it originally was?

provider 2 16:31 30 Mar 07

Some possibilities for you to consider:click here

delta36 21:07 30 Mar 07

You could have spyware. Try downloading Ad-Aware click here . Or your RAM could be getting used up. Try downloading Free RAM XPPro. click here

woodchip 21:37 30 Mar 07

You need to give the Hard Drive a Good Clear out of Cookies and all the waffle. Check how much free Disc space there is, also Do a Defrag of the drive

p;3 21:44 30 Mar 07

'I close down all antivirus programs' how many have you got?

and I for one would NOT close my av program at ALL so wonder why you are?

woodchip 21:48 30 Mar 07

OK to Close AV as long as he stays of the net. then turns it back on when he as done with games

p;3 21:52 30 Mar 07

BUT; as stated in his first entry, how many av programs does he actually have on board to start with? hopefully only one but is it?

woodchip 21:57 30 Mar 07

If more than one, then he as got problems

citadel 22:24 30 Mar 07

2 gig of ram is better for gaming, this speeds up loadtimes and framerates. I leave everything running in the background.

gabber82 12:50 31 Mar 07

i've only 1 av program. i disable the network adapter when not online so the av is not needed. does 2 gig of ram really make a difference? would it be worth the money in anyone's opinion?

p;3 12:57 31 Mar 07

of interest, what other protection programs do you have on there and when were they all last fully unpdated and run?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…