PC is slow after a windows re-install

lee_robinson1983 15:04 22 May 07

Hello,

I recently had to carry out a windows re-install on my pc. Things however have slowed up considerably since I have got it up and running again, especially when on the Internet (there is a huge lag when scrolling on any web page). I think all the windows updates are now up-to-date, and I've downloaded Flash, is it just a matter of updating the drivers for my MB and graphics card now? Or is there more to do?

I have doen a windows re-install before (same pc) about 8 months ago but can't remember.

Thanks

Probabilitydrive 15:10 22 May 07

the sequence of a reinstall:
Win>mobo driver>graphic card>sound card.

I wouldn't think that you need new mobo drivers in the first place, unlike graphic - and sound card.

However, I'm of the 'if it works, don't mess with it' persuation.

info on XP-install:click here

click here

lee_robinson1983 15:14 22 May 07

Thanks Probability Drive, I am of similar persuation. Does this problem sound like it is driver issues though?

My next plan of action was to (try and) find my Graphics card box and install the drivers in there.

Danoh 15:16 22 May 07

I've found this a useful reference to adapt for my own clean installations: click here

LOL! I'm probably the opposite of Probabilitydrive though :-)
But if you've only recently re-installed from scratch, your PC should be flying.

If you don't have a decent firewall, anti-virus/malware and have been wandering around web sites, if would be worth your while to run an online scan of your PC for bad stuff which is hitchhiking a ride on your computer and internet connection.

keef66 15:32 22 May 07

My first format / install I forgot the mobo drivers and it ran like treacle. Do it in the sequence Probabilitydrive suggests; Win>mobo driver>graphic card>sound card.

Probabilitydrive 15:34 22 May 07

Not having installed the mobo drivers will definately bring your suystem to a crawl.

If you have installed the drivers (check it in device manager) I would agree with Danoh - you PC should run like new.

Check device manager for driver issues, run Windows-up date and re-check your system for speed

Alan H E 17:30 22 May 07

Why not have a spring clean inside the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…