PC shutting off randomly & being tempremental

blackstorm2k 13:08 23 Jul 04

Built a PC a month ago and everything worked like a dream until yesterday - I was playing a game of Call of Duty on my new ADSL connection, when my PC froze. When I restarted it would not boot - there was no display. I noticed the gfx card fan not spinning so I though my vga card had gone. I then swapped it for my old Geforce 2 and it booted up again. A few minutes later it restarted with no display again and would not seem to start windows.
I then tried about an hour later and everything worked again and put my other vga card back in and it carried on working. But after a few minutes it did the same thing again.
My floppy drive keeps randomly reading as well when it does this weird restart with no display. It also occasionally hangs on the boot screen.

Any ideas what it's doing this or how it's happened - I've not changed any parts in it for about a week!
I think the m/board is faulty, but have no spare ones - suggestions/ideas much appreciated!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:26 23 Jul 04

Could be heat related make sure good air flow round / through computer

Check with Motherboard monitor click here

blackstorm2k 13:45 23 Jul 04

Surely if it was heat related, the PC would have started doing this soon after I'd added or changed a component? - it was running fine without me changing anything for about a week.
Besides nothing feels hot inside.
I have 3 case fans, fan on gfx card and a coolermaster jet 4 on my cpu. It should be cool enough!
But will I will try that link - thanks

ensonricky 13:59 23 Jul 04

You may have a faulty PSU or is just not up to the job?

canard 14:24 23 Jul 04

Sasser? I THINK downloading and running stinger is the standard treatment.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:28 23 Jul 04

Bitdefender click here
Stinger click here

ensonricky 14:40 23 Jul 04

From the symptoms stated I doubt that this problem is due to Sasser.

blackstorm2k 16:22 23 Jul 04

Tried searching for viruses but it's not picked anything up. I'm running Norton (up to date) and Zonealarm so virusesshould be hard to pick up anyway

I have a 480W Antec PSU which is unlikely to fail (although I'm not ruling it out) it seems very unlikely.

I have a P4 3.0hz, Geforce 5900 XT 30GB IDE hdd 120GB SATA drive, Intel D865GBFL M/board, 3 case fans, DVD ROM, CDRW, Floppy, Soundbaster Live 51.1, ADSL externel modem, 56K modem (not in use but in pc), 2 x 512MB DDR 400mhz RAM.

PC has now been on for about half an hour and sems ok for now. But I've not changed anything!

ensonricky 16:37 23 Jul 04

Variable failures like this are often related to the PSU's failing to deliver a steady voltage sometimes causing sporadic shutdowns. With a sizeable processor, 3 case fans, two HD's and 3 other drives the power demands are quite high. Hopefully your problem won't return but if it does my prime suspect would still be power related.

blackstorm2k 16:42 23 Jul 04

even on a 480W Antec PSU? And if it was power related wouldn't this sort of think have happened pretty much straight after I'd installed an additional device that would require extra power?
I'm not being argumentative, I'm just trying to understand!

Thanks for your comments, they are very useful. :)

ensonricky 17:20 23 Jul 04

Agreed Antec are a reputable make but with the power demands of the latest graphics 480W is no more than adequate. And no a problem would not show itself immediately a device is fitted simply because different tasks on your PC cause differing power demands. A typical example is the power demands caused by graphics cards during game play. I would also check the website of the company who produce the game you are playing and the Nvidia website for the latest drivers and patches and to see if this is a known problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…