PC Shutting Down During Stratup

Emerald717 20:34 26 Jun 07

Alright, this has been happening the past three weeks. I turn on my pc, it will make the normal sounds. Then shut down after about 5-10 seconds. It will do this once or twice then turn on fully. A few times it hasn't done it at all. It will never turn off while im using it. Only during the startup. I did recently put another gig of ram into my machine. But I dont think that is the problem. Any Suggestions?

umbongo(uk) 20:44 26 Jun 07

unplug and re seat the ram ie take it out the push it back in
if your still having issues take the ram out alltogether and boot the pc again if you havnt got a problem this points to the ram try the stick of new ram on its own then put the other good stick in if it seems fine

still not working do a mem test to see if the ram is ok

link to mem test dwnload
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 26 Jun 07

Also its a symptom of a failing PSU.

Borrow another PSU to try.

umbongo(uk) 22:14 26 Jun 07

just to clarify your descrition
emerald did you have this problem before you added the second stick of ram

Emerald717 22:49 26 Jun 07

No I didnt have the problem before the new ram. However I did some debugging. And when I turn on the pc. The fan RPM is around 3100 then when I start it up the second time its 3370ish. Maybe my fan is getting old? Takes it a little longer to get the minimum RPM for the motherboard to be on. But once its got the RPM it can stay on for however long.

This is the 2nd stick of ram Ive tried. The first one had a memory problem with a few programs I ran and wouldnt work. So I sent it back and go this one.
It worked for for atleast a week maybe 2 before this problem started.

woodchip 22:51 26 Jun 07

Remove the Ram and try the Comp

Emerald717 22:53 26 Jun 07

I understand testing it without the ram. But would bad ram cause it to just not turn on then fully boot up and work fine the whole time its on? I would think if it was bad ram it would cause other problems. I could be wrong tho.

Emerald717 23:56 26 Jun 07

I ran the Memtest and it didnt produce any errors. Ran 2 at the same time for an hour and nothing. Im guessing its my processor fan. Any other suggestions?

Reb 05:42 27 Jun 07

I have an Abit m/board, psu & memory all new & its doing exactly the same at boot up, I went to the abit forums & it seems fairly common problem but Im still waiting to find a solution. Abit tech support simply said it shouldnt do that but didnt offer any suggestions on how to fix it!

i had 4 sticks of 512mg ram a while ago and had this problem randomly, only at startup and it would only happen about 1 in 5 times, couldnt find the problem, i had a faulty ram module but the other 3 'carried' it vista ram test reported all fine, it was only when i tried them one at a time that i found it, ie it would not boot at all, i just got continous beeps , so, try them one at a time, if thats ok i think the psu is on the way out.
if the cpu is overheating, or bios detects the fan is too slow you should get a 'powering down to protect pc' message i allways have done, the only times any pc i have used just switches off has always been psu and my one ram problem.

umbongo(uk) 08:40 27 Jun 07

is the ram module a cheap high density one
ie a cheap one like what you find on ebay as these have compatability issues with certain chipset on motherboards
also check the compatibility table on what ram your motherboard likes as not all motherboards work with all manufacturers memorey
an example is asus mobo,s as they dont like high density and refuse to work with it most of the time

do you know which abit motherboard it is
is it a 939 model
find me the model name and number

another quick test to do is unplug any drives exept the hard drive and boot it again if you have no issues with it you need more power

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now