pc shutting down constantly

bobbybluenose 21:12 08 Jun 09

my pc keeps shutting down at regular intervals,the dam thing has shut down three times since 6 pm, i noticed today windows done a disk check ,i think just caught the back end of it.
o/s xp. i have since run cc cleaner avg mal ware and spy/term.the only thing i have not dome is run a disk defragger any ideas please bobby.

birdface 21:18 08 Jun 09

Maybe the PSU on the way out.Make sure the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.Check that all fans are working.
Is the computer keeping good time.

bobbybluenose 21:21 08 Jun 09

hi buteman yes computer keeping good time will open the machine up and give it a good clean out thanks bobby

bobbybluenose 21:35 08 Jun 09

right opened up the machine fans working fine and clean,the computer shut down again, windows then rann file system check <NTFS> file checking for consistency soz i am foxed

birdface 22:17 08 Jun 09

Maybe have a look at this to see if anything helps..Googled.

click here=

Maybe do your own disk check.My Computer.Right click C Drive.properties.Tools. Check now.and tick both squares.It will automatically run when you reboot and should fix any problems.It takes a while though.

Maybe wait and see if someone comes up with another method of doing it.

bobbybluenose 22:23 08 Jun 09

cheers butenan i will give it a go thanks bobby.

T I M B O 22:24 08 Jun 09

Buteman, thats the only way i know how. But i would like to ask Bobby,,, is there any clicking noises from the hard drive?

bobbybluenose 22:34 08 Jun 09

TIMBO no clicking from the HHD i have done what buteman said so i will just have to suck it and see ,thanks both for your help i will post the results tomorrow once again cheers both . bobby.

bluesbrother 23:32 08 Jun 09

It could be a temperature problem. SpeedFan will tell you if anything is overheating
click here

Or it could be a memory problem, try Memtest
click here

bobbybluenose 20:09 09 Jun 09

thanks all done all the tasks and computer back to normal once again. thanks bobby

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…