PC shuts down on start up

Old Salt 13:36 07 Aug 03

when I turn on my PC it shuts its self off again before its booted up,was working fine the other day,now all it does is fire up and shut straight down with the "its now safe to turn off you computer" screen showing,cant fire it up at all.Any ideas please??
DJ

Jester2K II 14:07 07 Aug 03

What OS?

Did you have up to date Anti Virus?

Old Salt 15:57 07 Aug 03

windows 98 no anti virus system,computer is not connected to the internet

User-312386 16:02 07 Aug 03

it could be the heat

is it in a hot room?

Jester2K II 16:03 07 Aug 03

Can you boot into Safe Mode??

alcudia 16:16 07 Aug 03

If you can get into safe mode have a look in Start Up. I once saw a situation where the exit windows command had been put there accidently.
It's a long shot, but you never know.

Old Salt 16:19 07 Aug 03

its my friends pc who lives in the town,I'm just going in to see him so I'll have a look see if it comes up in safe mode,he lives 12 miles away get back to you all when I get in later,thanks so far

Old Salt 20:21 07 Aug 03

the pc is a 500mhz packard bell,it wont boot into safe mode at all just keeps turning off,hav put in the boot up disk and tried formatting it gets to 20% then stops nd wont go any further,so at present I cant format it so I cant re-load an operating system
any ideas

R4 20:52 07 Aug 03

If you know what type of hard drive you is fiited use the manufactures utilities to test and reformat your hard drive. These can be downloaded from their site.
IE: IBM has Hard Drive fitness test suite
Maxitor has Power Drive
Etc Etc.
These can test the drive and mark bad blocks etc.
They can also reformat the drive.
You could also try FDISK then format from your boot floppy

Old Salt 05:39 08 Aug 03

tried fdisk,all I get is cannot access hard drive,on trying to format the hard drive is shutting down on 17% then starts up again and continues to format until it gets to 45%,it then shuts off and displays "Format terminated",if I try and use "setup" I get "windows has not got enough space andrequires???bytes"

R4 20:08 08 Aug 03

Try the manufactures utilities; If you don't know the Hard disk Manifacturer it should be shown during the Post/Setup Start up Screens before going to oopterating system
Maxtor Site :
click here
Seagate Site : click here
Western Digital Site :-click here

You should then be able to test/fix the drive if that is possible

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…