PC shuts down & restarts.

Manfatha 11:19 25 Jan 04

Hi folks, Is there anyone out there who can give me some idea what the hell is wrong with my PC? I'm running Windows 98se, 384mb Ram, on a Vulcan 6000 PC. I recently posted a thread about me getting Kernel 32 fault pop ups which I think I've since resolved. Anyway, what's now happening is the PC suddenly & without any prior warning shuts down & restarts, even when I'm not connected to the net. (I'm on a B/Band connection with Pipex) I've checked for viruses, power supply faults etc & It's really doing my head in! HELP!! Any advice would be sure appreciated.

Cheers, Manfatha

Dazwm 14:20 25 Jan 04
  Handy Spinner 14:43 25 Jan 04

...running Win 98 SE.

I solved it by cleaning out the CPU fan with a hoover!

keith-236785 15:08 25 Jan 04

usually points to an overheating problem.

Download & install speedfan click here, which will monitor the temperatures in your system.

i would think it is probably your cpu that is getting too hot and shutting the system down before it damages the motherboard.

good luck

Another possible cause if it is not an overheating problem is a faulty power supply.As you increase the work carried out by the computer, the demands on the psu increases, and if faulty, voltages drop causing the computer to shut down.

Manfatha 20:36 25 Jan 04

Thanks for the advice Guy's, I'm on the case right now!

Cheers, Manfatha.

Handy Spinner 22:05 27 Jan 04

Thanks for your email. Tell us when you're sure it's sorted.

:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…