PC shuts down immediately at initial boot-up

dunderheid 15:46 05 Feb 06

At initial boot up my pc shuts itself off almost immediately, and I cannot switch the PC back on with the switch on the front.

I have to switch off at the socket, and back on again before I can get the machine to boot. After this it runs merrily the whole day without no problems whatsoever.

This has happened 3 times since the end of December, including yesterday and today.

It is a MESH Matrix 1400EL just over four years old.

Gongoozler 15:48 05 Feb 06

By "almost immediately" do you mean before Windows starts or before the POST beep?

dunderheid 16:07 05 Feb 06

Gongoozler

I thank you for your immediate response.

It definitely shuts down before Windows XP starts as the monitor remains blank.

As regards whether it beeps or not I honestly can't answer that.

I have just shut the pc down completely right now to try and get an answer to your question,and the bloomin'thing won't replicate the fault I am describing.

It only happens at the initial boot of the day.

I will pay particular attention tomorrow, and if you are kind enough to follow my thread, I will give you an answer then if it happens.

Gongoozler 16:46 05 Feb 06

If the monitor is completely blank all the time, then for now I'll assume that the computer doesn't complete POST. It will be difficult to diagnose the problem if it only happens once a day, but the most likely cause is a faulty power supply, which fortunately is one of the easiest things to replace, and not necessarily very expensive. After that, then it will be necessary to eliminate as many causes as possible. The way you have to do that is to remove everything that isn't necessary for the computer to boot up. Unplug all the drives from the motherboard and try to boot up. It should get as far as reporting that there is no Operating System (because there is no hard drive). If it doesn't, remove any PCI cards and see if it boots. If it doesn't then try removing the memory. This should cause error beeps. If that doesn't work, then unplug everything else from the motherboars except the processor with heatsink, power supply, case speaker and power switch. After that there is only the motherboard, processor and power supply to blame, and you can really only tell which by substitution.

dunderheid 17:53 05 Feb 06

Would yu recommend that I buy and try a new PSU first, before I do any of the other things?

I must tell you that I am not very technically minded at all!

Fingees 18:07 05 Feb 06

II suggest you unplug PSU from motherboard completely and then replace the plugs again..
Mine was caused by dirty contact on 3.5 volt rail.

It cured it.

It may help.

Gongoozler 18:18 05 Feb 06

Hi dunderheid. If you are up for the challenge, then as long as you have access to this site while your computer is dismantled, then we'll guide you through it. The first thing you could try is to remove the RAM. If you have more than one stick, then wipe the contacts clean using a tissue dampened with Isopropyl alcohol or meths, and refit just one stick, then try another. If that doesn't help, then a new power supply is worth trying because it can be done quickly and without too much expense. You can spend from about £10 to £100 on a PSU. I'm using an Ebuyer Extra value PSU like these click here, and it has been working quite happily for about two years. I think a 400W unit should be fine for your computer, but check the rating of your present PSU first. Replacing a PSU is just a matter of 4 screws, the motherboard ATX connector and the drive connectors. There may also be a fan connected somewhere.

terryf 18:27 05 Feb 06

If you do go inside your machine, leave it plugged in to a mains socket WITH THE SOCKET SWITCHED OFF, Wrap a piece of bare wire around your wrist and connect it to the metal chassis to make sure that you are earthed. This will prevent you from killing your ram, etc. This is sort of a substitute for a real anti-static lead.

Gongoozler 18:44 05 Feb 06

Hi terryf, some people will say that you mustn't work inside a computer when it's plugged into the mains, even when the mains is switched off. Personally I can't see any danger in that, but strictly on a site such as this with over 180000 users we must say that if anyone wants to work inside a computer while it's plugged in - even if the mains is switched off, THIS IS NOT TO BE ADVISED. As far as earthing yourself is concerned, the correct way is with a proper earth strap which has a high value resistor in the circuit to protect against electric shock. For myself, I accept the small risk and simply touch the computer case befor, and occasionally during my working inside the computer, but I must again say that THIS IS NOT TO BE ADVISED. What I must add is that if the mains at the wall is on, there is power inside a computer even when it has shut down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 05 Feb 06

Modern PCs run a very small voltage through the board and cars even when switched off. So unplug from mins before removing any components

dunderheid 18:55 05 Feb 06

I'll try fingees solution first to see what happens.

It's going to take some time to report back. As I have said this thing only happens when I switch on in the morning, so if I clean the ram and put it back one card at a time, I will have to wait till the next day before I try it again, or am I talking rubbish?

I must emphasise, If I switch the pc off and back on after it has run for any length of time, the fault is not apparent.

As I said I am not very PC-wise, but the way it's acting, it seems to be something to do with the electrics. The machine justs conks out as though the plug had been pulled from the socket. It just goes dead as a dodo.

Thanks very much to everybody who has replied to my post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac