PC shuts down after and during loding drivers.

Ex plorer 20:01 14 Nov 06

Hi now that I have finished the PC build (New MOBO) every thing has been ok did a repair on my original XP HD and all has been ok for the past hour or so.
Now I have just started to load the Drivers it would not load the INF files, the PC shut down as it loaded, I tried it twice, same result.
Next I booted up and loaded USB and graphics etc. and pressed the finish button for a restart the PC went through the motions and then switched of.
I suspected the CD DVD drive was the problem and disconnected it.
I then booted up again and popped the driver’s disc in the CD Rom now set to Master and it loaded the INF files pressed the finish button for a restart and the PC again switched off.
I booted up again and it’s now running ok for now.
I have set Boot CD, HD, A.
Anything in CMOS I should change.

Ex

Terry Brown 20:17 14 Nov 06

Have you re-installed XP on to a clean hard drive, or have just put the original hard drive in & booted up.It sounds like a compatibility problem. Try going to device manager, uninstalling the display adapters , highlighting any heading; goto Action (Top Line)and scan for hardware changes. you may be asked for the installation CD for your new board. Follow through and assuming there is no mechanical reason (loose connection), you should be OK.Terry

User-312386 20:20 14 Nov 06

Question is have you downloaded all new updates from windows updates?

Have you installed the latest graphics drivers? As the ones on the discs are normally out of date.

Have you installed the chipset drivers?

Ex plorer 20:26 14 Nov 06

Hi no it’s the original HD that was on the previous MOBO I did a repair and then registered it again so I did not lose folders or any work.

Ex plorer 20:29 14 Nov 06

I down loaded all drivers on CD with new board but as you say they will be out of date its a dated 478 board but good for its day I will follow up on aLL advice.

Ex plorer 00:45 15 Nov 06

Hi I havent loaded any Chipsets as yet I have just run everest and there is link to all chipsets for desktop PC but which one do I download?
I need to catch up on some Hofixes so I will do that.
The PC ran for around 4 hours before switching off, the page stops responding for a moment and you can hear a click just as it shuts down.

ScanJet 10:54 15 Nov 06

If the machine is closing down and restarting you could change the recovery option:

Goto My Computer(right click)/advanced/startup and recovery and remove the tick from automatically restart on error.
Next time it should just give the error on the screen and stop - from that then trace the error message

You could also try :

Start / Run / eventvwr.msc and check in application or system for any recent errors

Hope this is of help

Ex plorer 23:47 15 Nov 06

Hi trying to understand chipset as mentioned above by madboy33.

Everest shows.
Northbridge and Southbridge, is this the chipsets.

Package Type 932pinFC-BGA N Bridge
Package Type 460 pin mBGA S Bridge
Or have I got it all wrong.

When I go into Intel download site I can’t find the above references in the downloads section for desktop to match the above numbers.
The link for Intel is at the foot of North and Southbridge pages.

I did download 62 Hot fixes after checking for updates.
PC has run all day no problem.
Scanjet all was ok thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…