PC Shuts down

Ian Clark 16:01 06 Apr 08

Hi,

At random intervals (sometimes dont happen) my PC switches off like the power has been cut. Start it again and everything works (windows safe mode? no thanks). Until the next time it dies? at a random interval!

When running everything appears fine. It really is like the power has been switched off - instant shut down.

What should I be checking?

Thanks

Ian

kindly 16:07 06 Apr 08

Sounds a bit like overheating. Does it have good venting and is your fans working inside the comp ok. Also i would do a scan for spyware and virus's.
Sorry i got no other advice but sure someone will be here to give you better than me hopefully.

Ian Clark 16:11 06 Apr 08

i thought heat, so moved pc, cleaned grills

its not overheating, as sometimes runs for hours (all day) no problem

then today, shuts down after 20 mins

Thanks for reply

kindly 16:15 06 Apr 08

Open your task manager and see if anything is running in background and using up resorses. To do this Right click on bar across bottom of screen and click on task manager. Then on Proccesers. You can see what % of processor power is being used on each program running. You can also stop them from there.

Ian Clark 16:33 06 Apr 08

I dont see anything taking up masses of resource other than what im using?

(COD 4)

ll other stuff uses very little. I have 3G of RAM,and mem is 62% used when my game is running

Technotiger 16:36 06 Apr 08

It could be that your PSU is about to die. Have you added any new hardware lately, perhaps you need a more powerful PSU to cope.

Ian Clark 16:43 06 Apr 08

PSU is rated way higher than i require - made sure of that when purchased last year ?

Thanks for reply

Technotiger 16:47 06 Apr 08

Have you tried any reg-cleaners, perhaps click here also make sure all connections internal and external are fully seated - I saw a similar case recently where all it was, was a ribbon cable not fully seated.

Tj_El 17:13 06 Apr 08

Hi Ian Clark,

I agree with what kindly & Technotiger have been saying. The PC will shut down to prevent damage to it. I came across this a few years ago while trying to fix a PC for a friend.
Turned out that CPU wasn't properly seated and had insufficient heatsink applied. I spent 4 weeks on the pc and you can imagine the thoughts going through my head when I uncovered the cause!!!! :-)

Ian Clark 10:39 07 Apr 08

I will look at the seating of all components and cables

Thanks

Ditch999 11:08 07 Apr 08

Check the temperature of it by running HWMonitor from CPUID click here This will tell you whether or not you have a temp problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…