PC shuts off.

jtw 09:38 04 Aug 06

Help.
When I start my 4 year old pc in the morning it shuts down after 10 mins. If I leave it for 5 mins and reboot it it stays on all day with no problems.
Only seems to be a problem after being switched off all night.
If I try to turn it back on straight away without waiting 5 mins or so it will not start.
Is it had it?
Has been whirring a lot at startup over the last few weeks, but this has stopped now the new problem has started

Smiler 09:58 04 Aug 06

Check that your cpu fan is working correctly. This could be faulty and causing the system to shut down, it also could have been the whirring sound you've heard as well.

jtw 10:45 04 Aug 06

Thought of this. But why is it ok for the rest of the day?
Have had case off and fan is turning.

Smiler 14:54 04 Aug 06

Is it turning when the computer shuts down on you??

Have you tried unplugging the fan cable from MB and refitting incase there is a dodgy contact?

xania 16:15 04 Aug 06

You could well find that the fan is sticking when you boot up after a long break, causing the reboot. The extra boost of power when the system reboots is enough to get the fan working and its then ok for the rest of the day.

If I'm right, you could be heading for trouble - each time your CPU overheats, its life is shortened. You should watch the CPU fan when you first boot up one morning, and, if that's the cause of the problem, replace it asap - meanwhile, a little helping hand to get started firth thing won't go amiss.

jtw 17:08 04 Aug 06

Xania

This sounds possible.
Will start up tomorrow with fan in view to see if it turns.
Will let you know.
Ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac