PC Shutdown,W32Time inerror log,

AngeTheHippy 15:54 09 Apr 05

what does it all MEAN??
Hi chaps, was doodling about this morn, e-mail writing, and suddenly the PC shutdown! Including the 'windows is shutting' screen. Now, it hasn't done this before... looking at the error log screen thingy in help & support, for the 9th April (today)there are 14 entries, W32TIME in the 'source' box, then in the description box, is the following::
>>Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

After the shutdown, I did a system scan (using AVG free ed) and everything froze...Ah - I've just looked at the log on AVG that was made when doing the scan this morning - it froze when it got to the file that **had** 2 virus infections - I say *had* because AVG found them a week ago, and put em in the vault. The entry said Deleted.

Anyone know what happening??

ps...I LOVE you ALL - especially F.E... 8-D

Someone know what this means please?

John-259217 20:38 09 Apr 05

Can`t answer for the shutdown but the error message is just XP trying to syncronize its clock with an internet time server.

If you double click on the clock in the system tray then select the tab marked "internet time" you can either untick the box enabling it or enter a different timeserver if the default one is not connecting correctly.

It may be unable to connect simply because your internet connection was`nt available when it tried or your firewall may be blocking it.

An alternative you could try is ntp2.ja.net I find this works for me but lists of timeservers are available if you need them.

AngeTheHippy 22:48 09 Apr 05

have done as you suggested. There was only 2 choices - time.windows.com and time.nist.gov. It was on the first choice, so I changed it to the second one. Will keep and eye on things though, and keep ya posted.

John-259217 23:18 09 Apr 05

As well as the two default choices you can simply type other addresses into the box then click the update now button which will tell you if its working or not.

Try the links on click here for more servers.

Unless your associated with a domain, ntp errors are not likely to cause you any problems and are unlikely to have anything to do with the unexplained shutdown, best of luck with that one!

AngeTheHippy 18:58 16 Apr 05

Been a week since the last message - nothing untoward has happened (fingers crossed!)so prob that's all that was needed, to change the time server addy.

Thanks loads,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…