PC Shutdown on Restart

Press Man 21:15 03 Jan 05

Hi Guys,

If and when I use the "green" restart button my PC shuts down? I then have to restart using the power button. Any ideas what may be in error here. OS= XP, CPU= AMD64 3200, Mobo= K8N, (not E Deluxe), Mem= 512 DDR. Thanks in advance of your help.

Graham ® 21:22 03 Jan 05

What should the green button do?

LeadingMNMs 21:25 03 Jan 05

I had a similar problem where shuting down resulting in the computer restarting. I think this problem was solved when i updated the BIOS click here However I can't be certain that this cured it. I would advise finding some sort of guide for updating the BIOS (motherboard manual - available to downlaod , follow the link above).

Press Man 21:29 03 Jan 05

Graham,

The "green" button should shut down windows and then restart windows, not shut down the PC?

Graham ® 21:37 03 Jan 05

So it is a reset button. I think there should be somewhere where you can specify what the computer will do when you press the button. I have never had one, so I can't help.

Press Man 21:59 03 Jan 05

Graham,

A little confusion I think! The "green" button is the one displayed in the 'shutdown computer' dialouge box. You are given the option to, standby, shutdown or restart.

Graham ® 22:49 03 Jan 05

Understood. All I can say is my shutdown menu 'Restart' option is blue.

THE TERMINATOR 00:20 04 Jan 05

Have you tried system restore?

woodchip 00:22 04 Jan 05

I have this problem with a Laptop. I think it was some software I used and changed a setting in the Registry but do not know where.

Press Man 00:26 04 Jan 05

Tried sys restore, still same?
Looks as though I have solved it!! uninstalled MS .Net Framework 1.1 and re-installed it, all seems ok now?
Thanks to all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…