PC shutdown after installing Windows XP upgrade

chrismuir 10:04 12 Jan 04

Hi

My brother recently installed the upgrade version of XP. All appeared fine until he tried to go online. After a few minutes he got the following message:

System Shutdown

This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Time before shutdown: 00:48 etc

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RCP) service terminated unexpectedly

This kept happening until he switched the XP firewall on. Seems to be OK now, but can anyone shed any light on the problem. I have advised him to get SP1 and also to download any updates.

Ta

Chris

Jester2K 10:07 12 Jan 04

He's not got upto date Anti Virus because he's picked up the MSBlaster virus.

See click here

Gaz 25 10:59 12 Jan 04

click here

It will remove blaster worm and offer to install the patch from microsoft for you.

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 10:59 12 Jan 04

click here

It will remove blaster worm and offer to install the patch from microsoft for you.

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 11:00 12 Jan 04

Sorry about double posting.

If yuo run the above file, it will remove the virus FULLY from your system, and protect you from future attacks.

Jester2K 11:10 12 Jan 04

Excpet it has a bug. Tells me i don't have the patch installed when i do....

use system restore & go back then run again the antivirus to check if blasterworm is still there do what is necessary to get rid of blaster but you may have to remove the patch & re install the patch
should then show you have the patch installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…