PC shut itself down

boon_intheuk 08:41 15 Jun 08

Hi, my wife was using my computer, she came and told me that it had frozen and then turned itself off. I turned it on, it asked what mode to start in and I chose "normal", it seemed to boot up fine but when I opened my e-mail client Mozilla Thunderbird a screen came up asking me to set up an e-mail account, I had four set up already, I exited that and it indeed has no account settings for any of them and is showing no folders that had all my e-mails in them? I then started Mozilla Firefox and even though my internet connection is still active (router) it had "forgotten" my home page selection and also the text size I use by holding down the ctrl button and scrolling on the mouse to make it bigger. Anyone know what the problem is/was? I am running Vista home premium. Could my PC's sucurity have been compromised? Also, when I configure all my e-mail settings will I or Thunderbird be able to find all my old e-mails? Any help/advice would be great, thanks.

MarvintheAndroid 08:52 15 Jun 08

Not very helpful but : I had a similar problem a while ago with XP, never found out what caused it. I ended up restoring from the previous week's backup.

PLEASE PLEASE back up your systems, guys.

Marv.

boon_intheuk 08:57 15 Jun 08

So I could just use the last restore point in vista?

€dstowe 09:17 15 Jun 08

You could use System Restore but, don't rely on it completely. It is no substitute for a full system backup.

recap 09:18 15 Jun 08

Event Viewer in Administrative Tools might shed some light on why this happened? If there are any errors pointing to the reason click here enter the event ID and source for a possible answer.

gengiscant 09:21 15 Jun 08

Very useful.
Thanks.

MarvintheAndroid 09:27 15 Jun 08

IF the problem is related to the registry, going back to a previous restore point might help. However, it is fairly unlikely that you will have a restore point taken just before the problem occurred, so there is no knowing what other changes will be made.

System restore is best used before changing drivers or installing hardware / software, but it is no substitute for a proper backup. Personally I leave mine switched off.

Marv

boon_intheuk 13:29 15 Jun 08

thanks, where do I find the event viewer? I have a pc from aldi, the harddisk is partitioned so it has a "boot" drive and a "recover" drive. would this be of any use fir this problem? Ive never backup to it my self, does vista do that automatically? or is it just for the basic systwem setup?
Thanks again.

So Afraid 15:04 15 Jun 08

In Control Panel/Administrative tools/event viewer.

ened 15:40 15 Jun 08

Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, double click System. Any Errors?

boon_intheuk 15:30 06 Sep 08

I used a restore point and everything seems ok, thanks for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…