PC shorted out and seems to be dead.

badgersmilk 19:41 12 Feb 07

I was on my PC today and I noticed one of the USB connectors had come out of the back of the PC,the insulation inside the USB plug had broken and when I tried carefully to put it back in the outer earth touched one of the pins. The PC just switched off instantly.
Thought it would of been the fuse in the mains plug when i wouldn't boot back up but that is ok. I have put my meter across the PSU power in and that is ok, the switch is switching power ok. There is a fuse on the circuit board of the PSU and that looks ok.
So where else should I be looking or does anyone know where to go straight to. I'm looking online to buy a new PSU but not sure if this is my problem.

Technotiger 19:49 12 Feb 07

Hi, is the psu fan running and do any lights come on at all?

Technotiger 19:51 12 Feb 07

Also have a look here ...

click here

badgersmilk 19:51 12 Feb 07

The fan is not on or any lights. The whole unit seems to have died.

Technotiger 19:52 12 Feb 07

Looks very much like psu has died then.

Technotiger 19:53 12 Feb 07

Hmmm, hope that is all it is.

badgersmilk 19:55 12 Feb 07

Ok. I will order one and let you know the outcome. I'm surprised that the USB would do this to the PSU, I didn't think the USB would kick out enough power to bother the PSU unit.

Ashrich 20:03 12 Feb 07

If this was an onboard USB socket I wouldn't be surprised if it had taken the mobo with it , hope not though ....

Ashley

badgersmilk 20:20 12 Feb 07

The USB was a 4 port PCI slotted in, hope it isn't the MB. The PC is 5 years old now and all I have done to it so far was swap the MB out about 6 months ago. Been lucky really.
I've had laptops that have only lasted 12 months and 1 day. (Just out of warranty).

Diemmess 20:26 12 Feb 07

Do have a really good look inside the socket for signs of the broken pin.

It just might still be causing a dead short having welded itself in the wrong place.

If you are really very very v e r y lucky, that might just do the trick!

If you don't do it there is a chance of blowing the next PSU.

badgersmilk 20:48 12 Feb 07

I checked the socket and all the pins are in fresh air "so to speak". The PSU is ordered and I will take it from there.
I understand what you mean about blowing the next PSU. I will isolate that USB socket for the time being.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…