PC SCAN

hubdean 17:33 21 Dec 04

IS there a program that scans the computer gets rid of all the rubbish and OLD files that are no longer in use

Graham ® 17:37 21 Dec 04

No, not one, you will need several. Start with

click here

toni b 17:40 21 Dec 04

Try this also click here get rid of a lot of left over stuff.

toni b 17:51 21 Dec 04

If you are using xp why not use the "disk clean" utility found in the system tools folder???

Modo 18:03 21 Dec 04

The cover of the computer mags invaraiably carries a free trial for software that does this job. I recall one cover mount disc that had two in the same month.

I use Webroot's "Windows Washer" to clean up at log off. It does a lot of the jobs in your category. Frankly it is little more than an automation of things you would spend half an hour doing manually like deleting Temp Internet files. But it does clean the index .dat if you should need that facility for good or naughty reasons!!!

Next step up and you are into things like Ace Utilities, UWCleaner and the Mcafee product. They claim to give benefits like more thoroughly uninstalling programs, cleaning the registry and have add ons like finding Duplicate Files. I've tried them all and never bought at the end of the trial period. They never quite seem to cut it and can be unpleasantly unstable. The one I've liked most is Ace Utilities but I found it horribly lacking on finding duplicate files when I was trying to clean up my music library.

The other thing you need is a registry cleaner and editor - for safety if you are going to start "messing". I always end up going back to RegSeeker.

Go to downloads.com and read the reviews.

JoeC 18:06 21 Dec 04

of System Mechanic. It is good and clears out lot of stuff. Give it a go for 30 days !

click here

rômanab 18:06 21 Dec 04

This is good click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…