PC says empty discs are full

Schopenhauer 14:58 04 Sep 06

My daughter, running Win98, has been writing to CD-R discs quite happily until now when the PC is claiming that the CD Writer is not accessible. Inspection shows that it is seeing all discs as full, even new ones known to be empty. I have tried another writer that I know to be good but the same thing happens. If anyone knows where to look next I should be very grateful.

xania 15:01 04 Sep 06

New CDs need to be formatted before you can write to them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 04 Sep 06

you do not need to format CD -R disks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:09 04 Sep 06

How much free hard drive space do you have?

problem occurs if less than 10G HDD space available.

xania 15:14 04 Sep 06

Ooops - quite right. Too used to working with re-writables. First point - can the writer read a CD? If it does, could be the write heads need cleaning. If OK, check your drivers. Insert your OS CD into the drive and <run> sfc /scannow.

If not, move on to the next point. Does the writer show up when the PC is first booted (POST screen). If not, suspect your data cable, or connection to the mobo (rule out conenction to the drive if you've already tries more than one drive. Does the CD light come on during boot-up? If not suspect power supply.

xania 15:15 04 Sep 06

Ah! Fruit Bat /\0/\ - that's one I didn't know. I bear that in mind for the future. 10 Gb. Hmmmm!

Schopenhauer 16:20 04 Sep 06

Thanks for those replies.
1. 28Gb free on HDD
2. Writer plays Cds, music and data, but a data disc that shows 679 Mb free space on my PC is shown as full on daughter's.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 04 Sep 06

What burning software are you using?

Schopenhauer 16:58 04 Sep 06

Nero

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 04 Sep 06

is it nero showing full or windows xplorer showing full?

Schopenhauer 17:51 04 Sep 06

Windows xplorer. Nero crashes the system if I try to burn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009