PC Runs Slow after being left for a while?

gplatt2000 18:10 12 Jun 04

Hi all. I try to leave my computer on as much as possible (ie. from when I get up until when I get to bed). However, I have found that after leaving the computer (internet still connected) and returing after about 2 hours it runs EXTREMELY slow. I dont mean just a bit slow, I mean where it takes about 40 seconds to do a simple task bring up the start menu.

If I have left Internet Explorer up that too runs incredibly slow, ie. 2/3minutes to open Google.

The onlly thing I find works is to restart the computer, but I would rather not do this due to the hassle and wear & tear on parts.

Any ideas why this could happen/how to stop it happening/an easier way of getting PC back to normal speed than by restarting would be great, cheers.

Gavin

neghness 18:22 12 Jun 04

sounds like your cache is filling up EXTREMELY quickly. so obviously it speeds up after restart because the cache is cleared. wots the spec of your system (RAM tec.) and wot other programs run in the background (Anti-virus, MSN messanger etc. etc.)?

broggs 18:23 12 Jun 04

search on google for memturbo and download it.This will probably solve your problem.
Cachmem will also do this.

gplatt2000 18:40 12 Jun 04

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, much apreciated. Sorry i didnt say anything about system, its:

Windows XP
256 DDR RAM
Athlon Xp 1800

And I dont have many programs running in the backround - Norton AV, and a few processes but non that arent needed (not any big programs ruunnning, or viruses for that matter!)

Thanks again, any other suggestions would be great aswell, cheers

neghness 18:45 12 Jun 04

256 RAM is probabbly the problem there, i have the same problem, i'm running XP on 2600+ and 256 RAM, and the cache fills up real quick when i play games. just like it will when your connected to the internet. your best solution may be more RAM in the long run, i know i'm buying a 512 stick in the near future

wawadave 20:27 12 Jun 04

hello
i agree ram is most likely cause. when its slowing down click ctrl,alt,delete. and see how much ram is left to be used.
you might do a defrag. scan for spyware.and anthe 256 megs will do you wonders for long term running.
i use 512 megs now and mine works well after being on for 12-18 hours.

Pidder 22:35 12 Jun 04

wawadave Hi,can I but in. how does one check the amount of ram, in the way you suggest? (Pidder)_

gplatt2000 11:12 13 Jun 04

Thanks a ot for the info everyone. I think I'll soon be ordering a 512 stick of ebuyer.

Pidder - to check RAM usage (I think) you press CTRL + ALT + DEL, then in the window that comes up chose the 'performance' tab, and it has a display of how much you have, how much in use etc.

Thanks again

gplatt2000 11:12 13 Jun 04

Thanks a ot for the info everyone. I think I'll soon be ordering a 512 stick of ebuyer.

Pidder - to check RAM usage (I think) you press CTRL + ALT + DEL, then in the window that comes up chose the 'performance' tab, and it has a display of how much you have, how much in use etc.

Thanks again

Pidder 22:53 13 Jun 04

gplatt2000 Thanks. I have 98SE which doesn't show a performance tab, only the close program option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…