Pc runs for 1 to 2 seconds..

Hi all, I have a 4 year old pc with a MSI 6775 M Board... switched on to find fans run for 1 to 2 seconds and thats it... so checked mother board to find a burn / scorch mark on it.. cannot get same m board so got hold of a MSI 6570G MB. switched on and hey presto... Zilch.. same thing as bfore fans run for 1 to 2 seconds,, could this now be a PSU problem? h e l p..

johndrew 16:41 29 Mar 08

All depends on where the damage is and what is in that area.

I would suggest you first check the PSU to ensure all voltages are correct and then other components one by one to ensure no failures which could cause a short or surge.

Diemmess 16:50 29 Mar 08

It could,........
but there are other possibilities to consider.
PSUs can seem to be happy, but cannot provide the necessary current at the critical voltage needed.

First and just to eliminate other hardware with a fault dragging the PSU down.

Open the box and disconnect all power leads to HD, DVD drive and every USB device plugged in.

On switch-on the machine can go no further than try to load windows, but that is further than you go at the moment, and you could then try reconnecting the innards, one item at a time.

A short test if you have a spare PSU which you know is OK - try it, but do this last in case a Mobo or component fault wrecks the sustitute PSU as well.

Finally, you are sure the replacement mobo hasn't died as well?

Thanks for your response, Started new M board up without any drives, Dvds, etc connected. should not be any untowards current being pulled, bearing in mind the ist M B has been fine for 4 years. I would think that the fault occuring on ist MB has damaged the psu,, i dont suspect the new M B at the moment, so will purchase another psu 2mozz. then give it a go.
Thanks All for your speedy response...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…