Ok first up my PC Specs.

MSI PT8 Mother Board with VIA PT800 Chipset
3.0Ghz Intel Pentium 4, 800mhz FSB
1 x 1gig PC2700 (333) DDR Ram
Sappire Radion ATI 9600XT 256mb
Sound Blaster Audigy Sound card
40GB Western Digital Ultra ATA Hard Drive - Wont work as boot drive
60GB Seagate Baracuda SATA Hard Drive - Boot Drive

When I first installed my computer it used to run fine apart from not booting up when something was pluged in the USB port. I did not realiase that was the problem at the time so I reinstalled the computer from scratch. About the third time I did this it took XP about 2 - 3 hours to install and it takes it about 5 min's to boot up now.

Before this bad install I ordered a memory upgrade from the same company I got the original memory, motherboard and CPU off. They gave me the wrong kind but they said it should be fine as the PC3200 chip would slow down to PC2700 so both chips matched. My PC2700 chip got fried and the computer never seamed to run as well with the other PC3200 memory chip. both of these chips were 256mb by the way.

Anyway, I have since upgraded to 1GB of ram and my computer is running slower than it did when it had 256Mb ram. In fact I cant run some programs that my old P3 400mhz machine had no problems with.

I have got so many problems with this computer I am thinking of buying a new one, which is a bit anoying as I have spent a fortune on this one and Ive only had it about 6 months.

Possible problems I think it could be are:

When the memory fried it damaged the memory slot on the mother board, or it damaged the CPU.

Graphics card not working proprably.

Incorect USB drivers causing problems (I cant get the right ones to install)

Oh yes and one other thing a few months back my CPU usage was nearly always above 75% when I was doing nothing, this did fix itself 2 months later but I still dont think its right.

I know this post is long but belive me I could have made it a lot longer.

Trackrat 15:46 07 Mar 05

You do not say how you fried your memory, have you tried running the various components in another machine to see if you can locate the problem component.
The two main ones you need to try are the processor and the memory, if those are allright try the graohics card and if these all check out its a new motherboard.

Dchar23 16:19 07 Mar 05

I only have one machine that can hold those components, so I cant try that. I have just ordered another computer but I would still like to get this one working so I can sell it or hook it up to a network or something.

As for the memory I havent got a clue what happened to that, my best guess is it didnt like being paired up with a 400 DDR (it was a 333DDR). I ran memcheck to find out what was wrong with my computer and it showed that memory modual as corrupt, but the new one is fine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 07 Mar 05

Slow computer.

1. Run Crap Cleaner click here

Will get rid of temporay files and bloated registry.

2. Run antivirus and antispyware maybe hoging resources. Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

3. Defrag yor hard drive Power defrag lite click here
Autodefrag click here both better than the windows built in defrag.

4. get rid on NOrton if installed. terrible resource hog.

5. Check virtual memory (pagefile /swap file) should be at least 2.5 x your physical memory. swap it off your sysem drive to speed it up even more.

6. Cut down on the number of programs that run at start. run msonfig check startup tab.

7. cut down on XP services that run see click here

Dchar23 17:20 07 Mar 05

Thanks for the info, Ill try them out when I get home.

My home PC (the one with the problem) isnt connected to the internet, so unless some spyware has pigy backed on a download, Spy/Adware shouldnt be the problem, I also used the Defragmenter in Computer Managment, yesterday and it did improve things a bit but it should still be faster.

Dchar23 11:43 08 Mar 05

It has helped a bit but it is still running way to slow, would having the wrong divers slow the computer down.

I upgraded the Graphics driver a few weeks ago and since then my monitor goes blank for a couple of seconds during boot up and my graphics gard is listed as a ATI Radion 9600 instead of a 9600XT. and windows XP installed its own versions of drivers for some of my motherboard components, like PCI Bus and USB and I cant change them.

devil boi 12:48 08 Mar 05

start-programs-accesories-system tools, run some of the programs in that menu, this will speed your computer up that little bit more.

Dchar23 12:54 08 Mar 05

I have done that, I think the problem has more to do with the system stability. I have jsut downloaded a program that will check my Memory, CPU and Graphics card. Hopefully that will be help me figure out what is wrong, if its a hardware problem anyway.

Dchar23 09:45 10 Mar 05

After using performance test 5 I got the following results, My home PC click here compared to my slower office computer click here

looking at them I would deffinately say the problem is with my Graphics Card, does anyone have any suggestions.

Dchar23 09:49 10 Mar 05

Soory those links dont work, my host wont allow it.

Try these instead:

Home computer click here

Lower Spec Office Computer click here

Diversion 19:36 10 Mar 05

Hi there You can check your PC's perfomance go here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…