PC running very slowly

Mjones68 15:17 07 Jun 06

Hi,

I hope someone can help us. My wife’s computer has started taking a very long time to do things, such as open a word document, spreadsheet, jump on to the web etc etc. It’s a 12 month old laptop (2.4Ghz, 1Meg ram, running windows XP Pro). We run an up to date Norton Virus scan every week and I also ad-aware se spy scan every week. I also do a *.tmp,*.chk,~*.*, search every few weeks to delete all of the temporary files. I’ve checked and the machine says that we don’t have to do a disk defrag. That’s about where my expertise ends and I’ve just no idea why it’s running so slowly. Can anyone suggest doing anything else and/or is there any good ‘house keeping’ software that we can run on both of our machines to tell us if they’re running OK or clogged up with anything. Thanks very much

mattyc_92 15:30 07 Jun 06

"I’ve checked and the machine says that we don’t have to do a disk defrag"

What do you mean by the above quote?
The manufacture has installed some tool that does it automatically?

Jackcoms 15:30 07 Jun 06

Use click here to clean out all the crap in your machine and also run a defrag anyway

SB23 16:12 07 Jun 06

Try this aswell, click here,
Its abit more indepth, but it does the job. Run it in demo mode first, just in case you want to check what its about to delete. I run it, and have never had any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…