Pc running very slow

ladylove 12:23 08 Dec 10

I have windows xp home edition, it is running very slow and can take anything from 5mins to half an hour to load my first page, the whole pc is just slow, once gets going its not too bad.
I am not very good with pc so please explain in simple terms lol. thanks

gengiscant 13:46 08 Dec 10

click here scroll down to 'Fruit Bat /\0/\' posts. Which is a start.

ladylove 16:53 08 Dec 10

Hi Gengiscant,
thanks for your help, is there a free cleaner like ccleaner.

gengiscant 17:22 08 Dec 10

Not sure what you mean by the same as Ccleaner, do you not like that one.
Also you do not state make and model of PC, it could be a bit more memory might help.

ladylove 17:55 08 Dec 10

Hi.
thanks for your reply, sorry im not good at this lol. yes ccleaner is a good one,but im a bit afraid of using it, its telling me to delete my virus ware etc.

My pc is HP compaq windows xp home .

wee eddie 18:00 08 Dec 10

click here

After using CCleaner's Main Cleaner, it's probably worth using the Registry Cleaner. First time I used the Reg Clean Function I used the Backup option (put it in My Docs), removed 10, rebooted, then removed 10 more, Rebooted, and so on. Had there been any problem, which there was not, that way Recovery (by opening in Safe Mode) should have been fairly simple. CCleaner is said to be very conservative in it's choice of Items to remove.

After that I Used the Start-up Cleaner to: First Disable then Remove everything else except my AV, Anti Malwear Monitor, Broadband Use Monitor and Automatic On-line Back-up.

Then a lengthy Defrag (Windows own). Remember to turn off things like Screen-Savers and Energy Reduction Settings.

ladylove 18:18 08 Dec 10

HI, thanks for your reply. I have used ccleaner now, and also changed start up issues. Seems faster now , thank you all xxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009