P.C. running slow

lintony 21:06 10 Jun 03

Can anyone help me? My P.C. is running slow and I'm not too sure what to do to rectify this.

User-312386 21:08 10 Jun 03

1st things 1st

Lets have your operating system and specs please and have you loaded any software recently?

lintony 21:21 10 Jun 03

My computer is Packard Bell and I am running Windows XP. Sorry don't know what other information you need. As for software, I occasionally download programmes from the P.C. Adviser discs that come free with the magazine.

woodchip 21:25 10 Jun 03

Several things can do this starting with the easy one. How much stuff have you got on your Hard Drive.

Second How many programs are running in the background

Third this is the One to fear, You may have a Virus

mammak 21:45 10 Jun 03

lintony dont worry too much at this point, the internet can be like this, first as woodchip said check for virus, get a good AV, ie, Norton, AVG, PC CILLIAN IS ALSO GOOD , try spybot search and destroy, it is out standing as is adware 6,type it all in to a search , you,ll find them no probs,i will most likley be stood corrected but check your cookie,s it could be youve a nasty in there, delete if you have.

lintony 21:51 10 Jun 03

I have Norton SystemWorks and do a virus check on a regular basis. I have just returned from holiday so it hasn't been done for one month. I am doing it now. I will also check my cookies.

lintony 22:31 10 Jun 03

I have done a virus check, everything appears to be okay. I have also deleted all my cookies to on the safe side but still my PC is running slow.

VoG™ 22:34 10 Jun 03

If it has just started to go slow then try a System Restore to when it was faster.

I hope that you had a good holiday, and you woodchip.

BillEmm 23:53 10 Jun 03

There is a program that I recommend which will check your system for problems (Registry mainly) and list them - for free.

However, if you do not have the competence to fix them yourself you can download the 'fix' program for a fee (7 day licence = 20 GBP or full year for about 90 GBP).

The product is PC Doctor OnCall V2 and I have not had a disappointed customer yet.

Look here:

click here

At least it doesn't cost anything to find out if your registry is in a bit of a mess.

User-312386 00:47 11 Jun 03

pc doctor on call will allways find a problem with the registry, i would not use that

PCA_Expert 01:15 11 Jun 03

"pc doctor on call will always find a problem with the registry, I would not use that"

Lol that's very funny but unfortunately true.

Try pressing ctrl/alt/delete and see what is running....sometimes rogue progs kick-in and slow things down when you least expect them.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…