PC running slow

Tankie 74 19:06 25 Oct 05

My PC is 5 years old and has run OK since new. Never like lightning but OK. Had Windows XP installed Jul 05 and as a result the memory was enlarged to 256. PC has been checked and is defraged etc every couple of weeks. Disk free space is 52%. Has Pentium 3 5oomhz from new. It is suggested I upgrade to say 800mhz. Probably passing on the PC to daughter and Gdaughter shortly and buying new for myself. Any thoughts on the upgrade and slow running.
Tankie 74

007al 19:25 25 Oct 05

more memory is the best upgrade if you only have 256mb.a 5yr old pc wont run xp at a decent rate.but thats just my opinion.you could try turning off some of the glitz thats not needed.running in classic mode to dumb it down to run quicker may help

Jackcoms 20:15 25 Oct 05

Ideal RAM for XP is 512mb.

Also download/install and run click here

You can safely delete anything it finds. Best free crap cleaner on the market.

gourmand 23:43 26 Oct 05

You could also close down any programmes that automatically come on at startup, this will help. Go start-run, type in msconfig and click ok. select the startup tab and uncheck any programmes that you do not need to run at startup such as messenger, office etc, do not uncheck any windows or antivirus programmes for obvious reasons. You will have to reboot for the changes to take effect, windows will remind you that you are using a selective startup(just click the box that says do not show me this message again). If something does not work properly you can always repeat the above and re-check that programme, but the less your operating system has to run the quicker it will be.
And I agree with 007al and jackoms the best upgrade would be an increase in memory.
Might be worth downloading "Ad-Aware" and "Spybot search and destroy" and running them too if you havn't already.
Cheers
gypsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…