PC Restore

collinsc 13:01 09 Oct 10

Hi

My Dad has had problems with his PC i have cleared all the viruses off, but he is unable to view his pictures on CAMEDIA (The program appears to have disappeared) and we cant get on to Word (it is asking for the disk, actually to frontpage, not to word). Would a system restore be a sensible option?

thanks

northumbria61 13:49 09 Oct 10

If it just a recent occurrence you could try a system restore prior to the event - it MAY help.

You could look in your Start Menu programs OR Control Panel - Programs & Features to see if CAMEDIA is listed - if not reinstall from disk (if you have one) or re-download/install again.

With Microsoft Office - you should be able to go to Control Panel - Programs & Features - Select Microsoft Office - Change - and select "Repair" (this works for 2007) If it asks for disk (assuming you have one) insert it.

gengiscant 14:01 09 Oct 10

All depending on how long the PC was infected it might be that System Restore will also have a copy of the virus you have cleared.
So system restore will not be of any help. In fact it would probably be best if you switched off system restore to clear all the restore points then put it back on again.
Then follow northumbria61 instructions.

woodchip 14:50 09 Oct 10

Restore most likely will put virus back

collinsc 15:24 09 Oct 10

thanks for advice.

collinsc 17:50 09 Oct 10

i wondered - if im able to restore back to a point when there were no viruses on it then would that be ok?
the downside im guessing would be that any pictures/documents added since that restore point are lost (?)

thanks

woodchip 19:05 09 Oct 10

Why cannot you save your Pictures and Docs and E-Mail before trying a Old restore point. You could save them to CD but Docs could be infected

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac