PC Restarts when shut down

Frank-P 09:42 19 May 06

I am trying to find a reason why a Packard Bell iExtreme 9200i PC automatically restarts after a shut down from Windows XP, instead of powering down. To power down, you have to physically hit the front panel power button at the right point in the cycle, before it starts to reboot.

The PC is about 4 years old, and someone has previously done a "clean install" upgrade from ME to XP Home. None of the original Packard Bell specific software is now installed, but I cannot see why that should make a difference. I have checked both XP and the BIOS settings for Power Management, and everything looks OK to me. None of the "wake up" options appears to be active.

Eric10 10:19 19 May 06

This may be caused by a software driver problem when Windows shuts down triggering the Windows XP default action of restarting the PC on system failure. Right-click My Computer, click Properties, select the Advanced tab and click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section. Untick 'Automatically restart' in the System failure section. Your PC will probably shut down now but watch out out for any error messages that could help to identify the problem driver.

Frank-P 10:24 19 May 06

Many thanks, I'll give it a try!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:42 19 May 06

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

Frank-P 14:17 19 May 06

Thanks Fruitbat!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…