PC restarts after gaming for 15 min...

BenButtars 16:00 28 Apr 14

Specs:

• Athlon II 3.0ghz quad core
  • 12GB Gskill Gaming series RAM (9-9-9-24)
  • ATI Radeon HD7970 3GB DDR5 384-Bit
  • 3TB HDD
  • ASUS MOBO - M4A87TD EVO
  • Windows 7 64-Bit

Computer will crash after a few minutes of gaming. No BSOD, screen goes black and am forced to hard reset or power off. I have tried unchecking the "restart automatically" option in advanced settings to see if I could catch a BSOD but the same results occur. I have updated all drivers, tried rolling back the GPU driver, ran memtest on the RAM and all comes back clean after 2 passes. I did notice in the BIOS that the RAM had its timing set to AUTO which it set as 11-11-11-32 when the RAM specs are 9-9-9-24. The voltage for the ram is 1.5v but I read that setting it to 1.55 could help but it did not. It seems like I may be having a MOBO issue.. any advice on how to proceed with troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:38 28 Apr 14

There is a good chance that your problem may be due to overheating. Open up your PC and give it a good clean. Use tinned, compressed gas and, if necessary, a soft brush. Don't use a vacuum cleaner as you could damage components with the nozzle and the fast airflow can cause a static charge build-up on the nozzle.

As for your ram problem, is it running at the stock speed, or is it running at a higher speed? If it is running at a higher speed, that will result in the altered timings and could also cause a heat issue with the ram modules.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5