pc resetting with serious error when viewing video thumbnails

theDarkness 16:06 15 Apr 09

my pc resets almost every time i view a video folder. system restore does not help. browsing the net, many have been able to fix the problem with "regsvr32/ishell.dll", but my system cannot find the file. how can i fix the problem? Its possible that a program called stylexp may have messed with vital files on my system, but uninstalling stylexp does not help. How can i fix this explorer reset? Aside from explorer, the pc itself also resets with a serious error message sometimes. My system is clear of all viruses, but i dont know how i can fix the problem. thanks for any help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 15 Apr 09

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

theDarkness 16:32 15 Apr 09

something tells me ive been here before, lol. i forgot about scannow, im sure u mentioned it b4 so ill give it another go. not the first time its happened, and almost certain its a stylexp issue if it messed up vital xp files to view, although cant be 100%-perhaps bad video codecs? thanks, will give it a go

theDarkness 01:39 16 Apr 09

I got through the first method fine, but 'active desktop recovery' still occurs when i view a folder with video in explorers thumbnail view mode, the screen turns white with the unexpected error message. It tells me i can turn active desktop off, but the option is missing where its supposed to be colated. Perhaps being able to stop thumbnails being shown with video would be the better option?

Ps i have a legit copy of xp, yet when i tried scannow it still asked for the wrong version of xp! It still seemed to work however, although didnt fix my problem. Annoyingly, after scannow finished its "fixing" process, i did not get any "succeeded fixing" message. As for the wrong version of xp being stated-I do not have xp pro, but perhaps the online updates have made the system think thats what im using-odd!

theDarkness 16:59 17 Apr 09

It seems i have no choice but to reinstall, but the problem is likely to occur again at some point since im installing the same progs. Method 2 sounds like a good idea, but i am wondering if its possible that it could render some installed programs unusable, if installing over the top of windows changes registry settings etc, that certain progs might need?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…