PC reluctant to start

zarobian 22:44 12 Apr 05

My friend was complaining that his PC will not start. When I switched on the PC (P4) I read the message on the screen no signal and then gone blank. Switched off the PC and the Flat Monitor too,removed the VGA cable from the graphic card. Examined it for bent pins,all ok. Replaced the cable and secured the connector. Switched on the PC and WindowsXP loaded normally.
Checked the device Manager for any conflict found none. The only thing I found was that the graphic card was shown as"Nvidia GeForce 440 with AGP8X (Microsoft). So it seems to be the Microsoft Generic Driver!!! Don't know. On examining the documention the Video card is mentioned to be as "MSI MS-8890 Geforce 4 128 MB (TV-out).
Any how I left it at that. This evening I was asked for help again and I find the screen is blank.Switched off the computer and restarted to liston to the start noise. Normal. The computer did the same thing "blank screen".
Switched off again and this time removed the mains plug from the wall socket. After two minutes reinserted the plug and started the computer. It started up normally.

I am completely baffeled. Is it PSU,Graphic card or reluctant HD.
Do I need to download and install the Graphic program from MSI/NVidia site or I am on the wrong track.

Any suggestions you wise folks.

Lady Lara 22:50 12 Apr 05

Restart Noise.... Beeps I presume. How many???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:51 12 Apr 05

If starting up fans running and leds lit but blank screen, I would suspect graphics problems, latest drivers may help.

woodchip 22:51 12 Apr 05

My guess the PSU on it's way out, it's struggling to do it's job

zarobian 22:54 12 Apr 05

I don't think so. It doesn't beeps. I think beep once. Will check on this again tomorrow.
Thanks for the quick response. My apologies for double posting.

z

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:57 12 Apr 05

One beep means POST good no problems. Still recommend ltest graphics drivers.

zarobian 23:07 12 Apr 05

Fruit Bat / \0/
Thanks I am going to download a fesh driver from NVidia. There are Unified Drivers on their site.

WOOD CHIP: I shall keep an eye on the PSU too.

Thanks for your quick response and suggestions.

woodchip 23:09 12 Apr 05

To test the PSU remove power from CD dvd drives

zarobian 10:06 13 Apr 05

woodchip: Thanks will test as suggested.

zarobian 22:23 13 Apr 05

Hi Guys,

I have started the process of elimination this morning. I have uninstalled the Microsoft Generic driver and downloaded the DriverCleaner as suggested by madboy33. Ran the DriverCleaner in a safe mode. Restarted normally and cancelled the new driver found. Installed the most recent Unified driver from Nvidia site. I left it at that. I just phoned my friend and he told me that the computer is running fine so far. I shall leave it for couple of days if it failed then it must be the PSU as suggested by woodchip that may be giving up on us else the reinstallation of Graphic driver has fixed it.

Will close this thread after couple of days. Thanks to you all on the forum who contributed so wisely.
Z

Technotiger 22:31 13 Apr 05

Duplicate Post

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…