PC REFUSES TO SHUT DOWN

Bonzy 15:22 28 May 04

Hello. I have access to a pc that refuses to shut down. It restarts when commanded to shut down. Here's what happens.
At the end of the day, the usual shut down procedure is followed thus:

Start is clicked, then Shut down is clicked, then the shut down radio button in the resulting window is clicked, then OK. The screen goes black, but instead of the usual prompt to shut down the pc it restarts instead. It used to be ok before. What could have happened? How can it be fixwed? Thanks.

woodchip 15:26 28 May 04

What OS

Old Shep 15:27 28 May 04

What OS are you using.Have you installed anything lately that might have caused this problem.

Old Shep 15:31 28 May 04

Is this problem with a different machine or the same one. You have two threads going with two diffferent problems.

Holographic_man 15:32 28 May 04

Do you have many items in you system tray?

Bonzy 11:50 29 May 04

The OS is Win 98SE

Bonzy 11:52 29 May 04

The OS is Win 98SE

woodchip 18:25 29 May 04

Try these, first go to start\run and type MSCONFIG go to startup tab and remove all the tick's except System tray, ScanRegistry, and AV and Firewall leave them with a tick. You will have to reboot, then put your Win98se disc in comp and stop it running, now go back to the Run box and type SFC and run the program to look for corrupt files. now try shut down

Bonzy 08:42 01 Jun 04

Thanx, woodchip, for your solution. Please confirm this: Removing all the ticks on the startup tab in msconfig except the ticks for system tray, scanregistry, Av and firewall; is the effect the same as rebooting the pc in safe mode? thanx in advance.

woodchip 12:05 01 Jun 04

No just do the above then it will ask you to reboot. but it will stop the programs loading where you removed the tick's if You find you need one just go back and put a tick in the box but I doubt you will need to do that

Bonzy 08:35 03 Jun 04

Hi woodchip, I did exactly what you said but it did not work unfortunately. The pc still just restarts, never prompts to be shut down even when the shut down option is chosen. Any more ideas? Funny, when the power-on button is pressed to force a shut down and cold booted again, scandisk does not run automatically like in other Win98SE pcs I know. I look forward to a response. Thanx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…