PC Rebuild advice

Jamesdr987 15:34 23 Sep 06

Hello

I've had my desktop PC 3/4 years, its incredibly slow and I am confident this is due to spyware/malware. I use the free versions of Ad-Ware, Spybot S&D to clean my PC but Spyware Doctor keeps coming up with Trojans/Keyloggers which I can't remove.

I would like to rebuild my PC but I wasn't given any product recovery disks.

The CDs which I was sent when the computer was new are:-

-Windows XP Home Edition
-Soltek Mainboard Driver
-Audigy Soundblaster Installation
-Sparkle graphics smart install
-FaxTalk
-Plextor manual and software utilities
-Nero 5 burning ROM

If I don't move any components inside, are these CDs enough to get the computer running like-new again?
Are there any other CDs which I should have?

Will I need the documentation for my sound/grahics card, modem, cdr/dvd drives etc... or will it be a fairly straight forward process.

The only documents which I was given when new were :-
-DVD 8300 user manual
-Sparkle G Force4 Ti Manual
-SL-75DRV4 mainboard User's Manual
-LiteOn DVD quick installation guide pamphlet
-PlexWriter quick installation guide pamphlet

I am a novice user but I've easily rebuilt laptops with product recovery disk, will this be a simple process aswell? I don't want to turn a slow / glitchy PC into an unusable box.

Thanks

ed-0 16:16 23 Sep 06

Yes. It looks as if you have everything you need.

Although it maybe worth holding out for awhile longer. They are some very talented individuals, here, that can sort out any spyware or trojans.

If you do decide to go ahead, then backup all that you don't want to lose (pictures, data, favorites, e-mails etc ) because this is going to wipe your hard drive clean. Also check that you have all you need to get back onto the internet. So if you have a modem you will need the drivers and settings. If you use broadband with a router, then us know.

The main disk you need first is the windows XP home edition. You just pop it into your cdrom drive and start the computer.

Here is a guide to installing windows XP with the widows XP home cd. click here. In this installation you delete the partition that holds the old copy of windows. It then rebuilds the partition, thus wiping everything off the hard drive.

It would be better if you could print that guide or follow it off a different computer, if you have one.

That should load windows for you.

ed-0 16:20 23 Sep 06

When you have windows loaded, you will need to install the motherboard drivers.

So pop in the Soltek Mainboard Driver cd rom and follow the prompts.

Then do the drivers for the sound card, Audigy Soundblaster Installation.

the graphics card Sparkle graphics smart install.

Your modem and settings.

Once you are that far, re-install your programmes. Then scan your backup data for nasties and if clean replace them back on the new windows installation.

Taff™ 22:12 23 Sep 06

Run Belarc Advisor click here first and print out the result for reference. You can then post any details of your hardware configuration for us to help find up to date drivers etc. It will also give you all the necessary CD keys for the re-installation.

Storik 09:54 24 Sep 06

Well I've just reinstalled everything on two computers and have to confess it's a bind - but had similar problems to yours and found it was the only way to get my computer working smoothly again.

I reinstall as per ed-0's instructions, except I put the graphics drivers on before the sound card - just personal preferences I think :-)

Storic

amateurann 10:27 24 Sep 06

ed-0
bookmarked for reference. Have similar problem. Wonderful clear instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5